Impeller seized up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSr

Well, it finally happened. I had read other horror stories of seized impellers. It finally happened to me. My 98 SeaDoo Sportster was running great as my son and I were taking a few quick laps around the lake.

Then suddenly engine #2 (starboard) just stopped. No warning, no sounds, just zero RPM. Pressing the starter button just produced a clunk sound. We brought the boat home and began investigating. Pulled the head off expecting to find a seized piston. By grabbing the flywheel and trying to turn it, we could see the pistons trying to move. They were fine. Then we pulled the cone off the impeller tail shaft. Bingo! There's the problem.

It was obvious that the cone had lost its oil and the bearing burned out...allowing the impeller to seize up. With the cone removed, the impeller shaft will not budge. I serviced the cones last year but apparently did a poor job. BTW...we pulled the cone on the #1 (port) impeller and it was perfect. Full of clean (smelly) oil. Although I used locktite on the cone screws, somehow the screws had loosened and let water in and oil out.

Here's the question. What now? I have no idea where to go from here. I've never done service on any impeller.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Attachments

• Cones.JPG
    Cones.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 100
You will have to get a new pump as the bearings inside have seized up and damaged the shaft and the pump. Get one off of ebay.

A good rule of thumb when replacing the jet pump oil, use a new o-ring and always pressure test the pump once the cone is installed.

Chester

Unless the Al housing that the bearings are pressed into is damaged, I don't see why you couldn't remove the bearings and replace them with new ones. I'd also get a new center shaft as I'm sure that's toast.

But getting on off Ebay might be the easier and cheaper way to go.

The part of the pump where the thrust washer sits will be severely damaged.

Chester

Gramps...pull the "nozzle", at the jet-pump assy, off, and you'll see a "cone" shape end. Remove the 3 bolts, lift boat up,high as can go, and let drain...

The part of the pump where the thrust washer sits will be severely damaged.

Chester
Would it be possible to salvage the pump housing and impeller if you heat the outside of the impeller (between the blades) a bit and spray/pour a ton of PB Blaster in the hole where the splines are (AFTER heated and torch if OFF)? That may be able to free up everything and allow you to take the impeller off. The bearings, selas, and shaft will be junk for sure. Small chance that the housing is ok? And even smaller chance that the impeller is ok?

I'm trying to be "economical" about this and hate seeing an otherwise nice housing I have get junked.

Thanks so much for the help you guys rock!

~Nick

what happens if you use regular oil in the pump? ive heard of people using just regular weight oil like 10w30 in the cone

Would it be possible to salvage the pump housing and impeller if you heat the outside of the impeller (between the blades) a bit and spray/pour a ton of PB Blaster in the hole where the splines are (AFTER heated and torch if OFF)? That may be able to free up everything and allow you to take the impeller off. The bearings, selas, and shaft will be junk for sure. Small chance that the housing is ok? And even smaller chance that the impeller is ok?

I'm trying to be "economical" about this and hate seeing an otherwise nice housing I have get junked.

Thanks so much for the help you guys rock!

~Nick

pm me if you need a new pump..Have two that came off my sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back