Impeller locked up..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiktsi

OK, 08 Speedster 150 supercharged with only 41 hours. I noticed last time out that it didn't have the grunt it used to have and seemed to rev a bit higher when accelerating, so I assumed it was about time for a wear ring and was going to replace it here shortly. Took it out today and it locked up while running. I thought the motor seized at first, but upon further inspection, the impeller is dug into the wear ring, and jammed up. I could also see what looks like a bearing seal jammed in there too. The boat has only been used in fresh water and has only been used three times recently since sitting for over a year and a half.

I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow, but is there anything common I should be looking for? I was searching for bearing issues and such and either I suck at searching, or there is nothing in this forum that sounds relevant. Thanks!

Figured I'd update this just in case anybody was looking. Tore it down this morning. There was a rock wedged in the outlet side of the pump, so I'm assuming that was the culprit. Tore up the wear ring, neoprene seal between the impeller housing and pump support and there were some decent nicks in the impeller. I have new parts on their way. My next question, if it gets answered :), is about reassembly. I see they spec Loctite 454 glue to hold the neoprene seal in and Loctite 518 gasket eliminator with primer on the impeller housing/venturi mating surfaces. Are these the only products you guys use or is there anything else you have found to work?

Anyway, here are the carnage pics.

Attachments

• IMAG1576.jpg
    IMAG1576.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG1572.jpg
    IMAG1572.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG1581.jpg
    IMAG1581.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 30
nothing wrong with your wear ring....:lols: holy crap that really went bad!! Do not use the Loctite 454 glue on the neoprene gasket, unless you get the pump housing in place on your first try it will become a pain in the ass. Just put a little grease on the seal and bolt in on.

Nope, nothing at all! I think I can get away with just flipping it over :D. You know it is pretty FUBAR'ed when the wear ring does the job of the impeller holder when loosening the impeller bolt :D.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket, I was just worried that it should be glued since mine got sucked into it like that- but that is probably due to it all getting chewed up by my little rock friend there.... We are in FL, that looks like a rock from the lake in PA- which would explain the vibration and cavitation my brother in law had when he took it out a few weeks ago that "cleared itself up".. Ugh.. I just can't believe it was that bad! I'm thinking the rock tore at the seal or ring and after clearing out, the impeller just kept hitting it until it galled up, grabbed the impeller and nuked itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back