ICS Grates

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNels0ns

Good Evening All!

Took my New to me 2005 180 Challenger Intercooled w/SC out this last weekend with a full load - 5 Adults & 2 Youths and cavitation over 5K. It was a great day so just idled it up and down the Columbia for a couple hours. Got it home and on the hydro-lift and crawled under to see if I had a debris issue. To my surprise the ICS Grates are missing (Looks like PO did this) The Impeller looked to be free of debris and decent shape - the ring looks scuffed up - so will plan on replacing that. So in reading threads I see some have opted to remove the grates since the ICS doesn't seem to work that well (if at all). But considering the amount of debris in the river I think I really need to have something there. Looking for suggestions

Much Appreciated

Good Evening All!

Took my New to me 2005 180 Challenger Intercooled w/SC out this last weekend with a full load - 5 Adults & 2 Youths and cavitation over 5K. It was a great day so just idled it up and down the Columbia for a couple hours. Got it home and on the hydro-lift and crawled under to see if I had a debris issue. To my surprise the ICS Grates are missing (Looks like PO did this) The Impeller looked to be free of debris and decent shape - the ring looks scuffed up - so will plan on replacing that. So in reading threads I see some have opted to remove the grates since the ICS doesn't seem to work that well (if at all). But considering the amount of debris in the river I think I really need to have something there. Looking for suggestions

Much Appreciated

You've probably read my posts in other threads. I've ran it with no gate and had no issues. I think its actually better in the weeds as they don't get hung up on the grate. I have a fixed grate on it now, only because the pump support insert broke off and that part is discontinued. The fixed grate has the pump support insert as part of the grate.

What kind of debris are you dealing with? The grate is only going to block large sticks anyway as far as I can tell. Smaller things will get sucked in regardless.

The fixed grates off the 07 boats will mount at the rear, but you have to "MacGyver" a way to attach it at the front, which will require some grinding of the grate.

Did the PO remove all the hardware for the ICS or just the grate. I'm sure you can find a used grate somewhere. I have one, but I'm not quite sure I want to part with it yet haha.

You've probably read my posts in other threads. I've ran it with no gate and had no issues. I think its actually better in the weeds as they don't get hung up on the grate. I have a fixed grate on it now, only because the pump support insert broke off and that part is discontinued. The fixed grate has the pump support insert as part of the grate.

What kind of debris are you dealing with? The grate is only going to block large sticks anyway as far as I can tell. Smaller things will get sucked in regardless.

The fixed grates off the 07 boats will mount at the rear, but you have to "MacGyver" a way to attach it at the front, which will require some grinding of the grate.

Did the PO remove all the hardware for the ICS or just the grate. I'm sure you can find a used grate somewhere. I have one, but I'm not quite sure I want to part with it yet haha.

Thanks for the reply.

I am on the Columbia River near Portland Oregon and most of the visible debris is large sticks and limbs - which is what I am most concerned about. The ICS hardware is still there but the grate is gone. It looks like the PO may have had an issue as it appears the cable through the hull looks to have been resealed. I prefer to go with the fixed grate as you have done. Where did you find yours. Could you possibly send a photo or two of your MacGyverism.

Much Appreciated.

I can't remember where I bought it, but it was online.

My boat is currently 30 min away. I can probably take some pictures in the next couple days.

My boat is currently 30 min away. I can probably take some pictures in the next couple days.
No Worries. Whenever you get the chance. I am in the process of looking for the replacement part. If you decide you want to part with your old grate - I would be interested.

Thanks!

Any luck on photos?

Also - might you consider selling your old grate? I have yet to find a replacement.

Much Appreciated - TheNels0ns!

Any luck on photos?

Also - might you consider selling your old grate? I have yet to find a replacement.

Much Appreciated - TheNels0ns!

Sorry I never had a chance to get them and now I'm away for work. I'm going home tomorrow for 1 day and then gone again for 3. I might be able to get some tomorrow.

As I said, this is somewhat crude, but I've had no issues with this MacGyver job. After grinding the fixed grate to fit between the ICS front bracket I just put 2 small stainless bolts to hold it in place. The bolts don't go through the gate, the grate just sits on top of the nuts. It's tight enough that the nuts can't turn and they hold the grate tight against he ICS bracket. You could drill holes in the the fixed grate, but this was my fast "temporary" solution to get me back on the water as fast as possible. I considered removing the ICS grate mounting bracket and bolting the fixed grate to the same holes, but the nuts inside the hull are likely difficult to get to and this was faster and wouldn't create any leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_170835.jpg
    IMG_20190727_170835.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190727_170851.jpg
    IMG_20190727_170851.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Thanks _ Just what I was looking for. I believe you said that was a 2007 Grate Correct? I have searching all over for 05 to 07 but no luck.

Any Suggestions

Yes it was an 07 grate. I ordered mine from one of the online parts places. I assume those are now unavailable?

I was just looking at other grates and the older RXP grates have what appears to be an identical pump end to the grate I'm using, although the length is likely different. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks shorter. An aluminum welder could easier lengthen these. There are lots of used RXP grates on eBay for as low as $35. I think I may buy one, just to see if it fits!

I was just looking at other grates and the older RXP grates have what appears to be an identical pump end to the grate I'm using, although the length is likely different. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks shorter. An aluminum welder could easier lengthen these. There are lots of used RXP grates on eBay for as low as $35. I think I may buy one, just to see if it fits!
Thanks for the info. I will start looking that way also.

Thanks for the info. I will start looking that way also.

I did order one off eBay, but unfortunately it won't arrive until tomorrow and I'm headed to work for 8 days this afternoon. I'll let you know if it fits when I get it.

Thanks. Let me know what you find out. Much appreciated. Boat is down for at least that long any ways. Filled up the boat last weekend first time and found I had a major fuel leak. PO looks like he tried working on fuel pump and was never able to get good seal on tank fitting. Broken bolts, missing bolts - found the bilge with a gallon of fuel - not good. All could be sitting on bottom of river. Well I'll get it fixed right so I know that my family and future owners are safe!

The grate I bought on eBay is the same as the 07 challenger fixed grate except it's approximately 2" shorter.

So with a little fabrication you could make this work.

It was labelled as an 04-09 RXP grate, 271001476 271001477

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back