Ibr problems...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braaap!

I had and Ibr go bad on my 2017 se155 at 30 hours. It fell within the warranty period. Now my other 2017 se155 is having the same issue at 33hours. What is going on with Seadoo? Any advise would be great! Also new to forum!

Neither broke off the ski. The one ibr had a computer problem which Sea-Doo covered because it was 2 days out of warranty. This one is just under 2 months out of warranty. I’m really hoping I don’t have to dish out $1500 for a new ibr to be installed.

Throttle is controlled by computer (not cable anymore). IBR must be the same I believe. Aside for the link I provided, never read about a similar issue.

I has to be related somehow to what I pointed out. New GTIs (2017-2018) share a lot with Spark. In the link they were taking about a bad batch. Sometimes, I am even afraid that I will end up with a cracked hull. This was another flaw mentioned on these forums. Another bad batch...

Well let’s hope you don’t end up with a cracked hull. I don’t believe they are plastic in the gtis. I’d have to run it aground to find out lol! It’s at the dealership now waiting till Monday to see what they can do with it.

Dealership confirmed there’s an ibr issue and that Sea-Doo is working on it. They said Sea-Doo has been warranting them regardless of hours on machine and if it’s past the warranty period. I’ll find out soon enough...

Just purchased brand new 2018 gti se 155 end of season sale out of the box. No hours on it. Dropped in water first time 2 weeks ago, went 50 feet. Tried reverse, ...Ibr failed and stuck in reverse. Went back to shop, found a small bush branch stuck in ibr gate, like 1/8 inch branch, took apart ibr gate, removed little branch, it worked fine, and then ibr threw 3 codes out. Left handlebar throttle module failed, and 2 other codes. Took tech 20 minutes to see computer codes after starting and stopping ibr, and resetting ibr calibration 4 times with code machine. WTF? Brand new ski? Can a small branch do this much havoc?
Anybody have any insight into IBR issues with 2018 gti se? Really Seadoo? Wtf?

I was informed by my dealer to look for a branch too but I didn’t find one. I was told there are ibr issues with 2016-2018 units. Seems like a bad batch of them and Sea-Doo is working on the issue

Braaap
Are there issues with 2016-2018 gti se 155 model and the ibr?
What seems to be ibr issue exactly? He said the codes were impossible to find.
If this thing is gonna be a problem, its going back to seadoo. Getting refund.

I have a 2015 gti 130 se that had ibr errors since hour 0. Got it replaced yesterday.. going to get it to lake tomorrow for testing. Been ongoing since had. Sometimes it worked most didnt

I went 30hrs before first issue and then 32hrs with other ski before issue. I’m taking a guess here but I wonder if we are hitting the brake too often at high speeds? My kids drive mine a bit and I can see it happening.

Hope it won't happen to me... However I have already other issues such a paint cracking on the top cover (like if someone touched the paint with 5 fingers before it was dry. One mirror badly assembled also and decal ripped in front of the ski.

Seems like these are all manufacturing issues. Maybe we can blame NAFTA after all... I am sure this would not be happening if the skis were assembled in Quebec/Canada... But they would be more expensive...

I hate to say it but the more I see I think BRP in general is having really bad quality control issues. That with one of the worst warranty services would make me go to Yamaha for any 4 stroke skis.

IBR had issues in original 09/10's then that was fixed by different software and a different servo motor. Seems they lightened things up again maybe? The IBR motor in all cases is just big enough to move the gate swiftly. On top of that, the computer wants to see this happen in a set amount of time, if not it throws a code. It also needs to see it move to a very specific location, couple degrees short, throws a code. Either of these repeated a couple of times and it elects that it's unsafe and throws craft into limp.

Right now, mine, an 09 original IBR is functioning perfectly _if_ I don't actually brake at speed, then it will code. Before opening servo motor and re-lubing/loosening all moving parts it coded just on shifts It takes a lot more force at speed than simply moving the gate at idle. I've already confirmed that my gate is basically 'stiff'. It's an 09 with 140hrs on it. What I didn't know is the entire IBR gate is supposed to be rebuilt at the 100hr mark with new bushings and rollers.. I expect it to move smoothly and freely this fall when I do this.

If you boat in sandy areas or in and out of salt, I can see the various pivots and slides in the whole assembly stiffening up early and like I said, they seem to have built the servo motor just big enough to do the job, any stiffening in the gate assembly and it thinks somethings wrong. Codes will usually reflect too much amperage to move the gate, the gate not moving quickly enough or the gate not going to the requested location (may look like it is, but a few degrees short and computer says 'failed'..)

thanks for the replies. mine is a 2018 gti se. my ski was out of the box, zero hours, 51 minutes and ibr failed. tech been working on it for 4 days, with no positive results. I think its going back to seadoo now. dont even want them to try to fix ibr. brand new ski shouldn't be doing this regardless. bad sign of years to come. and to top it off I spent yrs on yamaha's, and said "let me try seadoo, they seem good"...and then this crap from a brand new ski. shame on you BRP! ...more to come

My computer failed in the one ski. It wasn’t because it wasn’t hitting its target area or because of a jammed stick. It shut down and wouldn’t work. The dealer told me it’s an issue and that Sea-Doo is on it trying to fix the issue. They’ve been sending new ibrs out without question for 2016-18 units.

Actually, I rarely use the brake function. I am used to 2-stroke where you have to pull a big lever to go in reverse. I would be afraid to use it as a brake. So I developed the habit of not braking. I mainly use my IBR as reverse to dock only. I guess if someone would use it extensively and from top speed it could put a lot of stress on the brake. But in an emergency situation, I know (hopefully) it will be there. But in three years of two strokes, never had a close call at all.

In the same line of thought, if you drive your car fast and always brake hard, you will go through your brake pads and disks much faster. Everything wears off. Flooring the gas pedal will also lead to premature tire wear.

I'll stick to using my IBR more for reverse more than anything else.

Update on my 2018 gti se 155 from earlier posts. Dealer states IBR needs to be calibrated. Said after 3 cycles the IBR would get stuck in reverse. been at dealer for a week now, and still there. We shall see if the IBR actually works after calibrating. I don't believe that could be the only issue. More to come.
I'm still unsure of seadoo...
Anyone have any insight into recalibrating the IBR, and it working?

Since you reported that problem I tested my IBR in more hard conditions. I am supposed to have a maintenance coming for my ski. Will ask some questions also about this.

My 2016 SE 130 has 178 hours and last weekend it started beeping and flashing IRB light. It did not go into limp mode, or show any codes. it was fine except for no reverse or neutral. I never use the brake, I only use IBR to dock. I have an extended warranty a really hope BRP takes care of it. In my eyes, 178 hours is a bit sooner than I thought I would start having problems. I heard BRP is trying to deny the warranty on these. Saying it is not under their warranty. Then I read that the VTS is covered but the IBR is a part of the VTS..... We will see when I call the dealer today.....

Hello,

I have a 2017 Spark with iBr (70 hrs) and it just started having problems. It will not go into neutral or reverse. I hope to get it out of the water tomorrow and hopefully to a dealer that can fix it as soon as possible. I will post what went wrong soon.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back