IBR Malfunction - Help - Codes P1661, U16A4, U16A5, U0129

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wagoetzmann

2010 RXTiS - (I've searched and read most post on this issue but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet....?)

Problem - Getting codes P1661, U16A4, U16A5, U0129 and IBR not working in water but works sometimes on lift.

1. Ski in really good condition, only 150 hours ridden mostly slow by senior adult and only had driveshaft failure issue to date.....which I replaced with new style and all was good.
2. Used ski about a month ago with no issues.
3. Found a bird nest up in the pump tunnel and cleaned out...went to Override IBR to help cleaning but found battery dead...only 5.5 vdc.
4. Replaced battery with new tested battery.
5. Now IBR is not working correctly.

Symptoms -
1. IBR and Engine lights in dash, no R/N/F, no trim indication.
2. IBR will not Override or work.
3. Trim will not work.
4. iS works but when manually motored down all the way the actuator keeps running till motored back up a bit.
5. Engine starts and runs fine.

Troubleshooting -
1. Checked all fuses and connections around the battery, since I had to pull on those wires to get battery replaced.
2. Checked all bird nest debris had been removed for the reverse and trim linkages.
3. Checked the main wire connection under the dash.
4. Moving the wiring near battery will sometime allow the IBR Override to work and everything starts functioning normal, even when engine started on the boat lift, but when I put it in the water it malfunctions again.

I believe I probably pulled a wire too hard when replacing the battery, but which one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Question - Will the codes clear themselves once the problem is corrected....maybe after several start cycles with no problem?

P1661 - ECM iBR MALFUNCTION
U16A4 - ECU TIMED OUT WAITING FOR iBR ON CAN BUS
U16A5 - ECU TIMED OUT WAITING FOR iBR ON CAN BUS
U0129 - CAN COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN ERROR AND WCM iBR

I don't remember the exact codes on my buddy's rxtx but he did a Riva intake and a few other goodies and knocked a ground off near the fuse box and it was similar symptoms, no vts, no ibr override, check engine and the bus stuff

well- I resolved the U16A4, U16A5, U0129 and IBR error message by replacing the battery and cleaning the solenoid cable terminals. now I'm dealing with a pressure sensor. :/

Found the Problem – Like has been suggested in other similar threads, unplugged and re-plugged the electrical connections at the iBR and all went back to normal. Inspected the plugs and found the silicon was all dried up and the connection pins a bit oxidized. Sprayed out with WD40, added new silicon to plugs and away we go again. As it turns out the bird nest and dead battery were just coincidences and I didn’t pull a wire loose……

Problem was not found...ski left me paddling back to dock with same issue but.........rest of story now.

Just for the record if anyone else has this issue, took ski to local dealer since I found out I couldn’t buy the replacement parts any cheaper than their quote plus I would have to have a Sea-Doo BUDS system to program a new iBR actuator anyway…..Local Sea-Doo dealer installed a new version upgrade kit which included the following parts and charges…

IBR Actuator, 278003042, $1,034.99
Support Plate, 268000067, $22.79
U Arm, 268000217, $71.99
Screw-Hex, 207382060, $1.92
Washer-Flat, 234081600, $0.52
Bushing-Plast, 293900007, $4.79
Spacer, 268000182, $11.99
3.61 Hours, $325.00
Shop Supplies, $4.99
Sales Taxes, $97.62
Total = $1,576.08

Try replacing the 30 amp relay in the fuse box and see if the problem goes away, another method is to remove the two bolts holding the IBR assembly to the actuator and then manually operate it and see if that fixes it. If not try the suggestions in this attatchment

Attachments

• CCF24052018_00000.pdf
    890.1 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back