I know we discussed already but...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjilafouine

I know we discussed already but... my original seat covers on my ski are really worn out (especially the back seat that will start taking on water this year I figure). I am hesitating between buying a new seat online or having a local guy do it for me. Since no one around here was able to find the original color in their catalogs, I will have to settle for a different color (like carbon black?). Prices here are hovering around $200.00 CDN (about $150.00 USD). Also, the people I saw told me that I would lose the "patterns" form because it requires a special machine for that.

Anyone has a suggestion for me? Maybe I should just buy a aftermarket one as long as it is resistant since my 21 pound dog rides with me (his claws could scratch a cheap cover). This one looks very cheap price: Seat cover for Sea-Doo 21 GTS/ 21-25 GTI/LE/LE RFI/RFI: Watercraft Superstore

2003 GTI LE.

Benji.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is the point, I would like to stay on the cheaper side since I have a 25% exchange rate + customs. What is wrong with the one watercraft superstore? Are they really cheap? Also, mine has a useful belt for passengers to hold on to. Will a new seat come with one?
[MENTION=2]hfgreg[/MENTION] What is the thread color?

Benji.

You can fully customize it including the thread color.

The material Hydro-Turf uses is thinker and tougher than most BlackTip seats. Now BT is offering higher end versions but those prices are up there with HT and JT so you might as well just get the real deal.

Your ski is your baby, it's your toy. I say save a buck someplace else. A nice seat cover adds value and pride in ownership.

I still do not understand what is the "thread" color (maybe because of my French Canadian origin)... Can somebody explain? I am in the dark here...

download (10).jpg

Benji.

The color of the thread that they stitch the seams with. The aftermarket ones are sewn together and not one piece like the factory one.

I bought a Black Tip from WCS whenever they had their black Friday 50% off deal. It was only 56 bucks, so I can't complain. AS others have said, the material is a little on the thin side. I'm sure Jet Trim is a better quality and the HydroTurf one hfgreg is selling looks to be a little better than BT too. If you don't want to spend a lot of money though, the Black Tip is okay. I'm sure there are many skis out there with BT seat covers on them.
Seat 1.JPGSeat 2.JPG

There are tons of skis with BT covers out there. These days they seem to be outselling all other brands combined but that's from their better retail skills not their design and quality. I use BT covers on my Craigslist flips because they are cheap and new folks to PWC only see "new cover" not "too bad it's this brand instead of another brand".

I have a couple HT covers that have seen years of Florida sun and still show. It's the kind of thick hide a dog could walk around on without penetrating in most cases. Jettrim is the top of all the brands but too nice for a dog to be walking around on in my opinion.

OK. I thought the thread were the stitches but I wasn't sure. Now, all these brands are "covers only" so this means that I have to install it myself? You only get the fabric, not the molded portion, right? I will have to rip the old cover and tack the new one? How hard to do is this as I have absolutely no experience in this field?

Benji.

That is correct cover only.
If you existing cover isn't torn leave it on. If it is torn up or split you will have to cover the seat foam in plastic before the new cover goes on. The sewn seams on any new cover will let water into the foam and it will weigh 100 lbs. you will need an air stapler and monel staples.

My old cover is not split or torn yet but the back section has started getting dry because of the sun. Also I guess I would have to remove the belt and that the new cover doesn't come with one. See pics.

IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG

I have a local guy who could install it for me. He does boating stuff.

Benji.

[MENTION=53237]mikidymac[/MENTION] "The sewn seams on any new cover will let water into the foam and it will weigh 100 lbs."

Can't I just buy a waterproof one?

Benji.

Nope they all let water in where the needle punches a hole.
Just leave your old one on and put the new cover over it. It is in good enough shape.

I guess my only other option would be to have a boat guy install a brand new vinyl one (more expensive) with no stitches.

Benji.

Or simply cover the foam 1st with polythene to stop the water penetrating, then fit seat cover, you've loads of options.

I bought a Black Tip from WCS whenever they had their black Friday 50% off deal. It was only 56 bucks, so I can't complain. AS others have said, the material is a little on the thin side. I'm sure Jet Trim is a better quality and the HydroTurf one hfgreg is selling looks to be a little better than BT too. If you don't want to spend a lot of money though, the Black Tip is okay. I'm sure there are many skis out there with BT seat covers on them.
View attachment 39182View attachment 39183

Man those decals look familiar!

I have the same Black Tip seat covers and I'm pretty happy with them.

Finally called the local boat guy here and he is willing to do a new vinyl cover for me at 125.00$ CDN! Color: charcoal (I can choose any color he has in stock).

Guess I am going to go that route. Simpler, waterproof, no shipping fees, no customs, etc.

Benji.

Man those decals look familiar!

I have the same Black Tip seat covers and I'm pretty happy with them.

Gee, I wonder why LOL. I really liked the way yours looked and I thank you again for sharing the info about where you got them. My only complaint with the decals is that on the very small GTX ones that I used on the hood and glove box, the skinny E and S legs tend to rip off if you're not really careful wiping with a rag. But other than that they're great and the price was right.

Well, as for myself, I went in a complete opposite direction. I brought my two-piece seat to the local marine guy who operates 10 minutes from my place and he will strip the old vinyl and install a new beige marine vinyl fabric. He will even reuse the passenger strap and put some new vinyl around it (and stitch it) and reinstall it.

All this for the nice amount of $150.00 (in cash). I may even get to sell him a brand new computer, monitor and get him his new domain name, etc.

The color is not exactly the same as the one I had before (a bit paler) but it seemed to match the tone of what I had before. Worse case, he would have to change that little piece of fabric left at the center on the handles (but who cares).

I'll post pictures as soon as I have it back (most likely within a week).

I just hope my ski will behave well this summer!

Benji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back