I have the boat, now I need to tow it! 2006 Speedster 200

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ritchiewall

Hey all.

I have been trying everywhere to figure this out...

I have just bought a boat, a 2006 Speedster 200, but I need to buy a new vehicle and really want the Subaru Forester or Outback 2010 models. Would these be able to safely tow the boat?

The dry weight of the boat is I think 2700lbs, the trailer not sure as I don't know where to find the details.

Your help would be appreciated, thanks!

get a f150 or better

I just bought 06 speedster 200. if you get a small vehicle you'll be sorry. i pull mine with an f150 4x4 and i can tell its back there! IMO

According to the suburu website the Forester is rated to tow 2400 pounds. the Outback is rated to tow 3500 pounds. So it looks like the OUtback is your better choice of the 2.

Good rule of thumb is to not tow more than 75% of what your vehicle is rated for. Many of these trailers are a good 1500lb. This is dry weight as well. Add 250lbs of fuel, plus bodies and beer (that's a big variable)

So I don't think a Suburu is the best option for you. Maybe the dealer would be a good place to start. My Chevy Colorado is rated for 5300lb and I tow a SeaDoo X20 (bought this weekend, WOO WOO!) That is the biggest boat I would want to tow with that truck!

The Challenger 2000 is 2100lbs and I think the X20 is 2200 due to the tower. You want to tow a boat that weighs more than my boat and trailer combined.

Good luck, but a mid-sized truck or SUV may be a better choice. GMC Envoy tows 5700lb and can get 20mpg. They are on the cheap as everyone wants the Acadia.

Yeah I think either of those will be highly underpowered and you will regret it. How long and often do you plan on towing? Some Quick research shows that boat as 2960 lbs dry.

http://www.sea-doo.net/units/2006/Speedster WAKE Spec.pdf

Of course this is for the Wake edition. So maybe 300 lbs for the tower, but add at least 500 lbs for gas and gear. You need something that is easily capable of 3200 lbs. I would look for something rated at 4500 lbs or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Unless you are going from your driveway, into your personal dock 10 ft away... I wouldn't do it. it's a 20' boat. 2900# dry... 35 gal fuel, trailer... you will be over the weight of the Forester. Not to mention... a 4 banger is going to SUCK pulling it.

Buy a full sized truck, or full sized SUV to pull it with.

+1 you'll need more towing capacity than the Subaru.

I'm towing the Speedster 200 with a mid-size VW Touareg. While it is rated for 7,700 lbs towing, I am only comfortable towing short, flat distances at circa 50 mph.

Ideally a full size SUV or truck would be better for long distances, hills, and optimum safety for this and other 20' craft. YMMV.

Speedster 200

Last year we towed with a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. I6 , standard rear end and boy did it take it's toll on that vehicle. It was rated to 5000 lbs. This year we upgraded to a 2010 Explorer rated to over 7000 with a V8.

IMO I would never tow my boat with either vehicle you are suggesting. In fact I'm convinced it's V8 power with plenty of torque or nothing for me from here on out. Gas milage sucks but ya gotta factor that from the get go.

Subie

:seeya:
Hey all.

I have been trying everywhere to figure this out...

I have just bought a boat, a 2006 Speedster 200, but I need to buy a new vehicle and really want the Subaru Forester or Outback 2010 models. Would these be able to safely tow the boat?

The dry weight of the boat is I think 2700lbs, the trailer not sure as I don't know where to find the details.

Your help would be appreciated, thanks!

Deleted due to being inappropriate.
My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the foothills, tow a Speedster with an Outback, no problem.
I only tow the boat once or twice a week, so can't see buying a special vehicle for two trips a week during boating season. I'm not racing anyone to the lake and the Subie has no problem keeping me at the speed limit.
Just sayin'.

You are towing a 150. The OP is asking about a 20 foot boat. There is a 1500 lb difference. Might wanna read it all before you give him some dumb advice that isnt just dangerous, its illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back