How-To : Recover that old worn out seat.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

BIGTEX2010

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot, if it is, then please have an admin move it accordingly.

When I was rebuilding a 1994 SPI for my girlfriend I needed to recover the seat, well in my search to find a “How To” on the subject, I came up empty. So I figured I would write my own when it came time to recover my SPX seat.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE WAY THAT I FOUND WORKED BEST FOR ME, THERE IS VIRTUALLY 100 PLUS WAYS TO DO THIS, SO WHAT EVER WAY YOU FIND WORKS BEST FOR YOU IS THE WAY THAT YOU WILL WANT TO DO THIS. REMEMBER THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO TECHNIQUE FOR RECOVERING THIS SEAT, SO DO IT WHICHEVER WAY YOU FIND COMFORTABLE. ALSO THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THAT I HAVE DONE THIS SO FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND ADD TIPS FOR ANYONE ELSE LOOKING TO TRY THIS.

So let’s start off with the seat and existing cover... as you can see it’s a little weathered, and in general it’s time to be replaced.

And the tools that I use to get the job done:

1) ¼” drive ratchet with 10mm socket and 3” extension
2) ¼” drive ratchet with 4mm Allen head socket
3) No.1 (Green) Robertson screw driver, and some assorted flat screw drivers(for prying)
4) Pneumatic Stapler and some Stainless staples
5) A knife of some sort, I used a razor blade because it’s extremely sharp and worked well for me.
6) A container to hold misc fasteners and parts that you remove from the seat that you need to reinstall after the seat is recovered.

OK ... Let’s get started!

Step 1: Place the new cover in the sun to warm it up and make it easier to stretch it over the foam and seat base, I do this first so it has a chance to heat up while I remove the old cover and prep the base. Remove all of the screws and attachment clips from the back side of the seat.

You also want to remove the strap, this is done with the 4mm Allen head socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step #2: Removing the existing cover.

Start with a small flat screw driver and use it to pry out a few of the old and existing staples.

Side Note: I use the contours and molded portions of the seat to hold the staples that I pull out of the cover.

Once you have a few of the old existing staples removed then you are able to get a larger flat screw driver under the cover and pry out the existing staples a lot faster. I do this by lifting up on the screw driver to pry out the staples more efficiently.

Continue to work your way around the seat and the cover will start to come off easier.

Once you have gone all the way around the cover and pried it away with the larger screw driver then you will be left with a few old staples that have pulled through and stayed in the seat base, you will want to grab the smaller screw driver and pry these out.

Now that you have all of the staples out then the old cover is ready to be removed completely.

It’s at this time that I lift the foam off of the seat base and make sure that the inserts that the bolts holding the latches attach to are glued in place still, the last thing that you want to do is have the new cover on and ready to go and find out that the inserts are not glued in and that you can’t tighten up the bolts. So add a little extra glue if you would like at this stage.

Now you can take that old cover and thank it for its years of service and toss it ;)

Step #3: Installing the new cover.

I start off by centering up the new cover and flipping over the seat and putting a couple staples in to “tack” the new cover in place. I put these towards the center of the seat and edge of the new cover, these will eventually be cut off(as you’ll see soon).

This is also a god time to check your stapler pressure ... too much pressure and the staples will be pushed too far in and cut through the new cover, too little pressure and they won’t sit tight to the seat base. The picture below shows you the depth that you should be looking to achieve.

Now that it is tacked in place I flip it over to check and make sure that I have enough coverage and to make sure that it’s still closely centered.

Flipping it back over, it’s now time to start pulling and stapling ... I tend to put 3 staples in at a time to help reduce the risk of the new cover tearing. I also start on one side and then move to the exact opposite side, this means that I am pulling on the cover evenly as I work my way up the seat.

On to the pictures...

After I have gone up both sides and pulled them tight and put in some anchoring staples(roughly 3 every 6” plus or minus), then I start on the back corners, pull, staple, pull, staple, and repeat.

Flip it over and inspect your work...

Now I move to the front of the seat and concentrate on the section between the two ears. I find this section to be the hardest, so just take your time and be patient with it and it will work out for you.

Next I work my way around the front ears of the seat, same process as before ... pull, staple, pull, staple, and repeat.

Now that the hard parts are done, you want to work your way along the seat and run a continuous line of staples to hold the cover on, I work in 6”-12” sections and continue to move back and forth on both sides of the seat. This is where the original sets of 3 staples that were spaced along the seat come in handy as they aid in helping me know when it’s time to stop and work on the opposite side.

Once you have a continuous run of staples around the underside of the seat then flip it over to inspect your work. It’s at this time that you will want to remove, pull and restaple anywhere that you have any slight wrinkles.

Step #4: Cutting off the excess material.
Once you are satisfied with how you have stretched and stapled the cover in place then you will want to flip it over one last time and carefully cut away the excess material with a razor blade or sharp knife.

Step #5: Re-install all of the latches and fasteners back onto the bottom of the seat, stand back and admire your handy work.

Thanks again for your patience, feel free to comment, good or bad it's all a learning experience, and hopefully this will help someone else recover their seat.

I am a marine upholstered and I must say that is a great how to looks great. i don't know what vinyl you used but a great vinyl is alsport 4 way streach vinyl here is a source http://www.sailrite.com/easearch#!&ea_q=alsport a heat gun also is a great help softening the vinyl to streach just be careful. one thing with the depression in the foam were the seat strap was make a new one cut a strip of vinyl long enough and twice as wide if you don't have the means to fold and sew to make the proper width you can glue it as said if its a 1" strap cut it 2" wide and on the backside mark with a pencil the center line then make 1/2" to each side from center marking for a 1" wide strap once folded use a good 3m spray glue and let it set then carefuly fold each side along the line then you but ed edges on the bottom you could sew the 2 side or let the gleu dry and just install it and cover that drpesion in the foam seat

Thanks for the kind words, Mike

I Edited the first post because your heat gun suggestion made me realize that I forgot to mention I put the new cover in the sun while I removed the old cover, I find this helped me in stretching the new material.

Thanks again, and keep the comments coming guys...

very cool and thanks for posting! my seat on my gsx is in good shape with the exception of the vinel being dried and hard. may tackle this come winter.

Great job, thanks for posting, in fact it's so good, I think we should move it to the How-To section.

Lou

Back