How to rebuild your lanyard ( Alabama style)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wfo speedracer

I posted this over on PWCT a few years back, I figure this is more suited to this site so here it is again, if you have already seen it don't worry , this is for those that ain't !

First the secret ingredient, yep its weedeater line, damn near indestructible. I am using .105 diameter line, you can use other sizes and it comes in different colors be forewarned though the smaller lines do not crimp back on as well as the bigger stuff !.

Attachments

• weed 1.jpg
    weed 1.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
You need a small piece of wooden dowel with two holes drilled in it, I believe I used 5/16' dowels. This is what you will make the coiled line on, feed the line through the dowel, wrap it tightly around the dowel and feed the end through the other hole, make sure to leave plenty of excess on both ends of the line. You can make the lanyard as long as you want .
Attached Images Attached Images

Attachments

• weed 2.jpg
    weed 2.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 33
Remove the coiled line and drop it in cold water for a few minutes.I used water and ice.

Attachments

• weed 4.jpg
    weed 4.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 26
Uncoil it and you now have a coil, however it is not very tightly wound.

Attachments

• weed 5.jpg
    weed 5.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 38
To make the wind tighter you turn it inside out. You then end up with something that looks like the pic below.

Attachments

• weed 6.jpg
    weed 6.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 37
Now attach the hook and Dess cap, I usually reuse the stock stainless clips as the regular lanyard clips are too small, I crimp them with hand crimper made for crimping wire terminals. I use heat shrink to cover the stock clip on the hook end, the other clip gets pulled inside the float and cannot be seen anyway. You end up with something that looks like this below.

Attachments

• weed 7.jpg
    weed 7.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 44
Now I don't know how many of you are familar with weedeater cord but I have had rolls lay out in the yard for years, it changes color slightly but does not lose strength, this is a fix it and forget it type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back