How to pop the 'rub rail' back in?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyslip

After a few bumpy wakes slid my Challenger against the dock - my 'rub rail' - the rubber strip that runs the length of the boat on either side - has popped out in some areas (see pic attached) - what is the best way to pop it back in? I tried a small screw driver - but that seems to just dent the rubber - anyone have any tutorials on how to push it back flush with the boat?

Attachments

• fenderPop2.jpg
    fenderPop2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 45
full throttle

man, you beat the crap out of da boat, past weekend...:rofl:
Had same incident with mine(rub rail), started at point it popped out of "holder", and started with bottom rail, then worked top. Didnt need any flathead or anything...

man, you beat the crap out of da boat, past weekend...:rofl:
Had same incident with mine(rub rail), started at point it popped out of "holder", and started with bottom rail, then worked top. Didnt need any flathead or anything...

:agree: I had same problem before if it is tight you can let it sit in the sun and I do beleive that the sun [heat] will make the material more plyable. :cheers:

I repair these all the time. First check the length to see how much needs to go into the rail. Now use a hair dryer and heat up the rub rail from where it popped out. Be careful not to stretch it to much or it will be longer then you need. I place either the bottom or the top of the lip in the rail where you are working. Try to push it so the extra slack doesn't exist when you get the rest of the rail in place. Heat and work it in from either the bottom or the top. Don't try to push both top and bottom in place, it won't work. As you heat it up it is allowing the ends to flex and go back in the rail. The groove on the edge will hold it in place as it slips back into place. Take your time and don't burn you fingers. You can use a rubber mallet to work in the last inch or 2. Don't beat on it just tap it to persuade it. It should take about 15 minutes tops to the full length of rail.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
I repair these all the time. First check the length to see how much needs to go into the rail. Now use a hair dryer and heat up the rub rail from where it popped out. Be careful not to stretch it to much or it will be longer then you need. I place either the bottom or the top of the lip in the rail where you are working. Try to push it so the extra slack doesn't exist when you get the rest of the rail in place. Heat and work it in from either the bottom or the top. Don't try to push both top and bottom in place, it won't work. As you heat it up it is allowing the ends to flex and go back in the rail. The groove on the edge will hold it in place as it slips back into place. Take your time and don't burn you fingers. You can use a rubber mallet to work in the last inch or 2. Don't beat on it just tap it to persuade it. It should take about 15 minutes tops to the full length of rail.

Karl

Karl and everyone else,
Thanks for the tips - I'm confused to your reply tho - it sounds like u are expecting that after the point it popped out - it all popped out.. it didnt.. just about a 2 foot length in the center of the rail.. my plan is to get a hair dryer - heat it up really well, and then slide the bottom edge in and take a rubber mallet and try to pop the upper edge in... sound like a plan?

Karl and everyone else,
Thanks for the tips - I'm confused to your reply tho - it sounds like u are expecting that after the point it popped out - it all popped out.. it didnt.. just about a 2 foot length in the center of the rail.. my plan is to get a hair dryer - heat it up really well, and then slide the bottom edge in and take a rubber mallet and try to pop the upper edge in... sound like a plan?

Yup sounds like a plan thats what i was going to say.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back