How to change your jet pump oil! (with pictures)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wutagoalie

Changing jet pump oil in a Sea Doo should be done at the end of every season. Dirty or low oil will cause premature bearing failure (usually at the farthest point from land !). This procedure is fairly simple, requiring no specialized tools.

Due to the size limit i had to post this in a word document in 2 parts.

Attachments

• Sea-Doo Jet pump oil change part 1.doc
    173.5 KB · Views: 4,613
  • Sea-Doo Jet pump oil change part 2.doc
    181 KB · Views: 2,870
Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...the correct procedure is to change the jet pump oil at the end of the season so if there is any water in the jet pump assembly it won't cause damage from freezing. There are lots of threads on here now with details of jet pump oil change. If your finished posts, with pictures look's good, we'll add it to a "sticky thread". :) :cheers:

Karl

You can skip many of the steps you listed. No need to do steps 1,2 & 6. You can leave those items attached. Just take off the reverse linkage (step 3), the steering linkage (step 5), remove the 4 bolts (step 7) and it will all come off together.
When reinstalling the pump cone, blue loctite is a must on the bolts. Also, put loctite 518 on and around the o-ring. Before filling with oil, the pump should be pressure tested to 10 PSI for 5 minutes with your pop-off tester. This will ensure that the seal is not leaking and that the o-ring isn't pinched. The filler plug, even though it's pipe threads, must have pipe sealant on it.

Chester

for the cone you need to replace the rubber o ring. it is like $4. Then also apply a thin layer of loctite 518. The actual nozzle just bolts on.

Will the fill-plug actually thread in far enough to drop inside the cone? It never did bottom out for me....

I dont know much about seadoos and just got one, but i think a fail in your write up is not writing what number oil you are using, what about for those who can afford the sea doo brand oil, or already have a similar type oil, or just want to get a different brand oil? also does it have to been synthec, synthec blend, or regular oil?

I strictly use Sea doo jet pump oil, not sure what viscosity to use, but stick with synthetic. your dealing with water and moisture.

I strictly use Sea doo jet pump oil, not sure what viscosity to use, but stick with synthetic. your dealing with water and moisture.

Same here, found it on Amazon and it was not unreasonable. I could not find Permatex Pipe thread sealer anywhere, I ended up getting Permatex's equivalent.

Gonna tackle this project this week, I hope this applies to a Jet boat as well. It looks that same, sort of. With just 2 engines instead of 1.

Thanks for the write up, the shop manual makes it look like a daunting task, you made it look simple.

Must say my manual says the capacity of the jet unit is 70 mls but fill the oil to the top of the drain plug. These two volumes are very different by approx 50-60 ml.
My way of thinking that if you fill the unit to the very top there is no room left for expansion causing oil to be pushed out and water to be drawn in as it cools. Does anyone else have simular thoughts, What is the correct volume.

I've always just filled it to the top, let the oil settle to get the air bubbles out and topped it off again. Since the pump has water going through it all the time and at a high velocity, the temperature of the pump would be pretty constant, so there would be little expansion and contraction.

Lou

I just bought a brand new GTI SE 130 last August and only put about 15 hrs. on it so far. I was just wondering if it's necessary to change the jet pump oil before this coming season since I got such little use out of it last year. I'm not trying to cut corners by any means because I would like to keep this ski running in tip top shape for as long as possible, but I also don't want to perform any unnecessary maintenance if i don't have to.

You have a 4-tek ski and your ski doesn't use pump oil, the pump on your ski uses grease. I'm not certain, but I don't think this is a regular service item on a 4-tek. Try posting your question on the 4-tek PWC section.

Lou

Well yes and no, yes if it's a Rotax powered 2-stroke. However you have a Mercury powered boat, try posting your question in the Mercury powered sport boat section.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back