Hose Clamp for Towing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brpcanuck

I towed a friend's Four Winns back to the dock the other day. My boat is starting to get old and I was thinking I should invest in a hose clamp in case I need a tow. I asked the dealer for one and he advised they had poor luck with them. He suggested I buy a water shut off valve from a hardware store and add it to the line with a couple of hose clamps.

I got a 2 pack from ebay for like 5 bucks. Just search hose pincher and you find them. They just use a thumbscrew to tighten it. Its real easy and they work great. Now only if I know what hose to pinch.

The dealer explained customers have used clamps however they were unable to pinch the hose completely and some water got by. Dealership is installing the shut off valves on new boats.

Can someone post a picture on the hose that needs to be clamped during a tow on a 4-TEC engine?

I installed a valve like this one. Never had to use it yet...

EDIT--on a computer at work, and it is not letting me look at the popoff tester to show you which type of valve I used.

If you can see that home-made popoff tester, that is the kind of shut-off valve I installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
bad idea.

Eventually, you will forget about the valve, and you will burn up the engine.

Definitely a good point!!

Disconnect and pinch with a pair of vise grips. Let it hang in the hull. What little that will drip will run out the back.

I was going to say why not disconnect hose from head and pinch it off w/vice grips.

These are what you want to get

You can get them at sears. They come in three different sizes, with the medium size being about perfect. I have used these for years for winterizing/flushing our sportster 1800 we recently sold. These beat the BRP clamps hands down.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947218000P?prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14

Use a Valve

If any appreciable amount of water gets past the hose pincher, it may fill the cylinders through an open exhaust valve. Then you have big trouble.

I was towed and didn't have the clamp. A jet ski towed me, and he went no faster than 3 mph. I had no problem with water getting into the engine. I like the idea of the Sears vice grips.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back