Horrible sound but not at idle... in gear?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofla

Ive been reading about the carbon ring and what it can cause symptomatically. In hopes of identifying the same problemic sound i get as the latest issue. Seems to be only in gear.. and once accelerating off the idle speed. I can best describe it as a arbitrary clang ; bang with a notable lack of power and the impression that someone is hammering the bottom of the boat.

Imagine sucking up a tie down strap... the hook banging around... thats what it almost seems like. I inspected both the bottom shaft and intake as well as from the rear looking into the pump at the impeller edges... and again nothing obviously there.

Is this the only source of such a sound? Also i noted that when i pushed the throttle the last time i was tinkering... in the water... it felt like almost nothing, but again at idle it putts along seemingly okay.

Any advise... and ideas... i tried pulling the grate below to get a clear look at it, but found the bolts to the grate would loosen but not pull out. They are not thru bolted and seem to screw into the bulkhead wall of the bottom itself right where the pump cutout sits ..? Once insaw this i hesitated in fear of not getting it tight again. Which seems the case now. There is plenty sndsolid black seal holding ; but the bolts turn and dont tighten down fully. Could i have accidentally caused a leak point with these bolts and where do they seat actually?
Had the whole family set to go today and it would seem that its not going to happen today

Any guidance is welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks

Have you checked the pump impeller shaft bearings? Does the wear ring surrounding the impeller have grooves or gouges cut in it's radius by the rotating action of the impeller?

Some out of water racket is normal, assuming this isn't a new phenomenon...

Can;t help with the grate bolts except to say if the bolts/screws won't tighten there must be nuts on the inside. I'm saying they're probably there, you just weren't able to locate them.

Maybe this is the correct link for your model?
Rivamotorsports.com's 2007 Sea Doo Jet Boat Challenger 180 215 IC Parts List

FWIW, the more I think about it, I wonder if there isn't a rock or other object stuck in your pump aft of the impeller? They can be hard to see, use a flashlight and look carefully.

Pull the pump already and give it a thorough going over. Make sure your impeller is tight and there's nothing jammed in there or any worn or corroded bearings. Takes about 15 minutes to remove a pump.

I believe some of the intake grate bolts are through bolted. I believe it's the rear ones, but not positive. The nuts will be inside the hull near the pump tunnel and are usually covered with white sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back