holes in side of seadoo for air intake?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcturner21

Good evening,

There are two visible holes (by design) on the starboard side of my 99 GTI Seadoo (717 engine). There is another hole that is hidden behind the plastic cover also on the same side of the seadoo. The hole by itself has a fuel line hose that wyes together with the one of the two visible holes and make their way to the fuel tank air intake. The other hole has plastic tubing connected to it and I just found out that it does not terminate anywhere inside the seadoo but found it near the rear of the seadoo open ended while I was tracing the bilge lines. Can this be correct? I thought this was supposed to spit out warm water from some component connected to the engine?

thanks in advance!
Jim

I'm guessing you are looking at the battery vent tube. All acid batteries vent. Many of the newer batteries such as Gel batteries have no vent.

could this be a source of water into the hull? I've been working at eliminating water in the hull and started with tune pipe which I had several holes welded shut, then bilge was not hooked up properly, scraped off silicon over intake grate bolts and put new marine epoxy over this. Anything else? Back through hole bolts?

Well I'm glad that you scraped and re-epoxied your "jelly nuggs".. When you say you're trying to eliminate water in the hull, how much water are we talking here?
My first month owning my ski drove me nuts looking all over for leaks.. Finally drove with the seat off, and it was clear as day. The tiny black hose at the top of the tuned pipe had a tiny piss hole tear in it, but literally filled the hull with an inch or two of water within a few minutes

Carbon seal could be leaking. Tighten all the hose clamps. Leave it tied down to the trailer and back in the water. See if you can find the leak. getting too cold to ride in Ohio.

if the hose is a thin black one, its probably the battery vent tube.

Or is it the big 3" black one ?

29.jpg

the tube is a sort of clear goldish colored about 1/4" diameter. it is not the big 3" black one. I have driven around with the seat off, that is the back seat but not the front seat. I found the tune pipe leak by taking the front seat off while idling but did not notice any other leaks. What is the carbon seal? Is that related to the VTS? I tightened all the clamps for the drive train (is that the VTS)? It was missing one clamp which I added.

That hose is the battery vent, if you are using a lead acid battery it connects to the vent on the battery, if not it just stays in the hull, or you can remove it.

The carbon seal is on the drive shaft, under the grey plastic cover at the rear of the motor, the rubber bellows can become torn or the carbon seal can become worn, sometimes because of a mis-alignment of the motor to the pump. Here's a thread on the subject.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?71248-How-To-carbon-seal-service-and-replacement

I would make a suggestion that you download a service manual for your ski, you can get one on this site if you join as a premium member, or just google for one elsewhere.

Lou

hi

just found same thing on my gtx di 951 2002 when refitting rebuild engine yesterday ..downloaded the piping schematic mine has 2 on the port side one to the battery vent and the other to the exhaust manifold (first oultlet water pipe from the engine end of the ehaust )its used on my di model but the download states that its not used on carbed version as they vent off to the rear

the starboard tube side fits up to the exhaust on the clamp end

might pay to confirm on the hosing schematic for your model...but I guess they install as option

sorry missed the part about the water in the hull , as above the reason I was refitting the engine was I removed it looking for an issue that was allowing water into the hull to .....searched hi and low , before I realised that the rubber engine mounts x 2 at the rear were totally broken off , allowing the engine to float around under power , and like LouDoo states , creates a misalignment on the shaft and the water hoses into the hull ....when the craft was idling stationary ,the shaft seal was fine .....no vibration or any other obvious tell tale

grab hold of your engine when off and try and lift or move it around ...need about 20 or 30 kgs of pull ....the mounts looked ok till I did that

stu

I removed one of the engine mounts when I replaced the starter (that's another issue) and the engine seemed pretty rock solid in the hull when I re-fastened the mount but I will specifically check it out just in case. I used to have probably several inches of water in the hull but now that I have welded the tune pipe shut and tied off the bilge its just a couple of inches of water in there.

To answer the OP question...the 2" black tubes are for fresh air for the motor and yes...water will enter the hull if you are splashing tons of water in that area when horsing around...or my favorite...standing on the front and driving the nose underwater and doing a fountain. LOL

mine was leaking this summer I couldn't find it so I tipped it back on the trailer stuck the hose in and let her buck until it started coming out. got have a little faith in the ability of the motor and electric boxes to keep the water out of the vitals a good test anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back