hoffmanlaw - Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffmanlaw

Hi. I have (had) a Seadoo 2002 GTX 155 and took it out for the first time this season. It was not ridden at all last season. I bought it June 2009 with low hours and it was not ridden much at all in 2009, 2010 or 2011. It was stored out of water under a roof since purchase. From the end of the 2011 season until memorial day this year it was stored. My boat storage place at Pickwick lake was asked to get it ready for riding. I have a bill from them that shows they charged the battery, then put on a new battery, $156.00 and cleaned and detailed it. They changed the oil in May of 2012 but we never rode it.

They towed me to the water and I rode it literally for about 15 minutes, then tied it up at the dock. That night it was sinking. The plugs were in it. We towed it around the dock and put it on a lift and tried to drain the water and start it. No luck. Now a seadoo repair guy is telling me the engine is locked up and it will cost $2,500.00 approx to repair and that the seadoo is only worth about that much. He said without breaking down the engine it looks like it might have been an OPAS failure just from ordinary wear and tear or dry rot? Anyway, he has offered me $600.00 for it for scrap basically since the engine is no good. If I sell the seadoo to someone else, I have a $200.00 repair bill for looking at it.
Does any of this sound right? Is the offer of $600.00 fair? Please, let me know. Thanks.

What should we do with a rusty sailor?

Well, if the ski sank and water infiltrated the engine and nothing was done almost immediately to remove the water, then the engine would have begun rusting internally and even if it could be started may not run very long.

Always check the bilge for water, early and often I guess.

As far as price goes, $2500 for a four stroke remanufactured engine including labor doesn't sound too bad, I rather doubt you can find a running four-stroke ski with a warrantied engine for that price. Wouldn't the remanufactured engine come with some kind of warranty?

I didn't even ask about a warranty. I will find out. I looked around and it seems the value of the whole thing would be around $3,500 to $4,500.00 in good working order. Not sure it is smart to spend another $2,500 on it.

It heavily depends on what you're getting for $2500, could be anything from a band-aid to a reman engine with 2yr warranty. I'd probably go for the reman if the rest of the ski was presentable cosmetically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back