High Temp Alarm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

StumpJumper

Hi, Friends! Need some guidance.

I recently picked up a 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Limited 4-Tec. It starts and runs fine, but a loud engine alarm starts sounding after 10-15 minutes of running. Not sure if this alarm can mean anything other than High Temp, so that has been my assumption. However, even without the alarm sounding, the only error code that is showing on the display (press Set 5 times) is P-1517, which is tied to the compass (unrelated issue I would think). Here are the things I've already done, with no luck.

1.) Replaced the temp sensors (3 of them - one in front of the engine block, and two in the rear)
2.) Back-flushed the engine 3 different times (once immediately after pulling it out of the lake when the alarm had been sounding. The alarm never sounded while the back flush was being performed).
3.) Checked and cleaned as many water line hoses as I could (excluding the metal J-pipe)
4.) Cleaned the water intake line and wire mesh above impeller

Once the Temp Alarm starts sounding, if I stop and let the ski idle for a bit the alarm will stop sounding within a few seconds. When I start running again and the alarm sounds a second time, it either won't stop or takes a much longer time of just idling before it will stop sounding.

I don't think it is related to faulty wiring/connections, because it is somewhat repeatable and predictable. Any thoughts or ideas of other things to try before giving up and taking it to the shop?

Thanks!
StumpJumper

Yes, I have two of these skis, and I've had the same experience with both skis. These early 4-tecs suffer from water intrusion into the information center. Corrosion causes all sorts of problems and erroneous alarms. The bad part is a new IC cost over $600.00! The newer version of the information center has a vacuum/pressure port and check valve on the back. I'm not sure if the information center is pressurized or evacuated during assembly, but so far, the new information centers are working perfectly, and I'm no longer getting any false alarms.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for sharing your thoughts. I won’t rule it out, but I do have somewhat of a hard time believing it is Electrical given that it only seems to happen when the engine has had time to warm up. It is somewhat predictable and repeatable. Maybe I’m wrong though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back