High Revs/No Thrust 2001 Seado Islandia Bombardier 2000 240 EFI V6

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stets20

Hi guys!! I’ve recently married into a family with a Seadoo Islandia Bombardier 2000 with the Mercury 240 EFI V6. The boat has been neglected on maintenance and I’ve taken on the mission to get her running good again. I’ve done lots of research and reading on these threads (lots and lots of help from these threads) and I’ve done everything I know what to do thus far.

So, here’s the issue. The boat starts up and the motor runs great. High revs no problem without delay. But, around 3-4K the thrust doesn’t change but the boats rpms continue to rise on demand. The only time the thrust changes is 3-4K rpm and down. Also, at this rpm range you can feel a slight “rumble” under your feet but only at the point where the thrust doesn’t change with the rpm of the motor.

Extra info. The boat has sucked up a towel and a rope from pulling a tube up into the jet pump and wrapped around the shaft (like majorly) both had to be cut off with a knife. The boat has struggled to pull tubers recently and could never really get going (low speed, could tell the boat was just struggling) and could once pulls two tubes with ease. Figured it might be good to include that info.

Work done so far:
- new spark plugs
- new fuel filter
- new oil
- new impeller
- new wear ring
- new stator assembly
- new grate/tine plate (2 teeth missing)
- all remaining original gray hoses upgraded to new black hoses
- new washdown pump (broken from shop that was supposed to fix the boat)

Ive read a lot about cavitation and usually read that there’s something in the pump. All of this work listed about has been required and necessary but has not helped the underlying issue that still hasn’t been fixed despite all this work. I just recently replaced the impeller, wear ring, and stator assembly and took the boat out and the issue was still there!!! No thrust!

So okay guys, I need some help!!! I’ve tried to do all I can but I’m sending out a plea for help!

When the stator housing was off, was it checked for any kind of blockage down in between the vanes?

You said new impeller, that should rule out blade damage. And with a new wear ring, the blade/ring clearance should not be a problem either. New stator too! KA-ching!

When you say "new oil" which oil? Was it the gearbox oil? While it's rare, the gears could fail. Were there any chips or flakes in the oil?

There could also be an air leak some where in the water intake. There is a large o-ring between the wear ring and intake casting. Could this be cut or missing? It does not take a large air leak to cause this kind of problem. (There is also a smaller o-ring in that area for cooling water. It must be in place or you could have overheat issues.)

Rumble under your feet- Has the impeller shaft been check for runout? (Is it bent?)
It will need to be checked with stator in place, all spark plugs out, probably 2 people.
If you know a machinist, he will know how to do it. Has the tools, too.

I don’t quite know what you mean by checking for blockage in between the canes but after all the guts were taken off the shaft I looked inside where the shaft runs into the boat and it looked clear.

My father in law says that there is an oil reservoir on the boat that does it’s thing since it’s oil injected that he just has to keep at a proper level.

I can check on the large o ring. The small o ring is the one on the wear ring unit correct?? If so yes that’s there. We just replaced the whole wear ring unit itself for ease.

Shaft has not been checked for runout but I had a feeling that was going to need to be checked. Will also put that on the to do list.

Also, would it be possible that the impeller shaft isn’t making a good connection with the flywheel shaft? When the boat does run good, it feels like something finally “catches” and the boat takes off...

Also, thanks for the reply!!

Last edited:
Small o-ring about 1 inch dia Large o-ring about 7 inch dia.

Has the gear oil been checked?

When he took it to a shop a couple years ago it was supposed to be checked but I doubt they did. I’ll take a look at it.

I’ll check for the big O-ring.

What do you think about a “spun hub” or something to do with the impeller shaft/flywheel connection point?

Unlike a regular prop, your impeller does not have a hub that can be "spun."
From the smallest dia. to the largest dia., your impeller is cast as one piece.

Oil tanks- the big one holds about 3 gallons. That one feeds the header tank on top of the engine while the engine is running. The oil pump draws from the header tank.

Blockage between the vanes- you could have picked up a small block of wood or rope or towel when you first fired up at the boat ramp. It does not take much to cause cavitation. Look into the steering nozzle and up into the intake tunnel for debris.

Has the gear oil been checked?

I haven’t been able to check on anything yet but tomorrow I plan on trying to dig into it as well. I will check all of what you recommended and report back.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back