Hi there! Potential new boat owner. Plenty of questions.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

longbedbob

Hey, folks.

After years and years of waiting, my wife and I finally moved off the waiting list and were invited among the elite group of slip leasers at the local lake. Since we are new to boats, we didn't want to tie up too much money. We found a local 1996 Sea Doo Challenger that appears to have been well taken care of.

However, there are always a few "buts" and I wanted to run them by more knowledgeable people.

The boat: 1996 Sea Doo Challenger.
- Recent engine upgrade (<10) hours. Seems to have been done by a pro shop.
- Oil mixer delete. However, the reservoir is still attached and oil lines seem to still be running to the engine. As best I can tell, the rotary valve is still being lubricated. There is also a shut off valve installed inline with the bottom most hose. I've read that this a long term storage consideration.
- MSD 4255 ignition module added with MPEM delete. Looks like different coils as well. Original ignition module is included.
- New fuel lines with high flow fuel bypass with separate filter. Not sure what this is but it was in the description.
- Jet pump rebuild with new bearings and skat trac impeller
- Nauticus trim tabs. Dunno what they are exactly, but are supposed to make the boat ride higher.
- New gel coat and decals all the way around along with new turf mats.

Anyway, it looks like someone put a lot of time and money into the boat before the most recent owners picked it up last summer.

The bad:

1. None of the gauges work. NONE! I suspect the tach and speedo issues are related to the new ignition module. There is a hard wired tach/engine hour meter in place. That's how I know the engine hours. I have read about the fuel sending unit issues and hope that my problem isn't related to the upgrades. Nevertheless, how can I get them back?
2. The throttle does not spring return on it's own. It will remain in whatever position you leave it in. When I brought this up to the seller, they said it was related to the mixer delete. Can this be fixed?
3. Plastic cover on spark arrestor isn't installed. It comes with the boat, but isn't on it. Any reason why?
4. There is a battery isolator switch installed. Which is a good thing. But when you turn it to on and the battery comes to life, the bilge pump runs for a few seconds before cycling off. I suppose this is normal?
5. It only comes with one key. I think it's tied to the MSD swap. Can I get a spare?
6. I have no idea what the timing is set at. The seller was told by the previous owner to run 93 octane blended at 40:1. I assume the additional octane requirement has something to do with ignition modules?
7. The oil in the reservoir looks dark. Possibly two cycle oil. Can I flush it out and replace it with regular synthetic oil for the rotary valve or do I still need to use two cycle oil?
8. It has a new Bimini top. I can't find a cover that will accommodate the top. Any leads?

I'd appreciate any feedback in regards to these issues.

Anyway, the boat starts and runs without a hitch. Based on the presentation and documentation alone, I can't complain about the price. So I will probably snap it up even if I need to spend a few hundred sorting things out. As a matter of fact, I'm arranging for a local boat mechanic to look it over and see what I might have missed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back