Hi, looking for help. 99 seadoo challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylormeyer90

I received a 99 challenger seadoo 1800 that has not been winterized for 3 years, had oil and gas still in it and has just been sitting still outside for years. I have new batteries and hAve no clue what to do next and little to no knowledge about boats. When I try to start it the motors just clank and don't turn. Any advice on getting this boat started up from the brink of death would be great.

Pull the spark plugs then try cranking. The engines could be full of oil from sitting so long.

As stated above, just put a towel over the head in case the oil shoots to the ceiling.

You could also remove the spark plugs and the drive shaft cover and try and spin the engines over by hand.

We did remove the spark plugs and try. Still just clank, no turn over. We were looking in to the part about spinning the engine by hand. Hadnt figured out exactly how to do that yet. If it does not move by hand does that mean the engines are shot and need replaced?

If it does not move by hand does that mean the engines are shot and need replaced?

It does not mean the engine is seized just yet. If you can not turn it over by hand then the next thing you would do is pull the pump, (this is where the impeller is, (looks like a propeller)). Those bearings can seize and it will stop the motor from spinning.

And,,, if that is not the issue then you pull the starter and see if you can turn it over by hand as the stater may be jammed against the flywheel.

Since your engine has been sitting, it may take a wrench to break it free. That said, the engine should turn over easily by hand.

Does anyone have a diagram or know of a video showing how and/or what to remove to get to the enfine where I'm able to turn in by hand or at least attempt? Thanks so much for the advice so far

Look at the back of the engine, remove the pto cover, gray plastic that is usually held on with white plastic wing nuts. Rotate the pto, where my hand is.
228.jpg
229.jpg

So we tried to turn it by hand and it moved, then started it and it turned maybe halfway. Not just the clunk sound. We pulled something out which my friend thinks is a power valve? That might be chewed up in the engine. Any thoughts or input on that and what to do? It won't turn over even halfway now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back