HELP WITH Seadoo 1997 GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinsnan

Hi all,

Looking for some advice really. looked at several of the 'first time buyer' threads and got a couple of questions on top.

I have just got a Seadoo 1997 GTI. Thought this would be a great ski for someone of my ability. My main questions are about starting from cold and general SOP's for use of the ski.

When starting from cold what are the main issues to consider and not to sound dumb but a good explanation of how people do this would be great as people sound like there are different lengths people take to ensure a safe start to the engine? Sorry if i sound vague but as above i am a newbe and also have limited manuals so all my knowldge is being taken from the net and past experiences.

From what the seller said it looks like the engine is the 2 stoke 750 rotax and i thinks thats correct, (another silly question, well sounds silly to me) what fuel is being used?? i take it its some form of unleaded and 2 stroke oil mix but does this need to be pre mixed etc?

Sorry about the amatuer questions but i guess ill only ask them once. This is also my first post but nice to see a website dedicated to the seadoo owners!

Thanks in advance and look forward to gaining knowledge off you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kevin,

1. If starting on trailer or land, connect hoses (do not turn water valve on), then attempt to start you may need to use choke. Once the ski is running you can then turn the water on, reverse the procedure when shutting off. As in, turn off the hose valve, then hit the start/stop button on your ski.

This process is important to follow, as if you have the hose turned on prior to starting you can put to much water pressure in the head and cause seals to leak getting water into the combustion chamber.

2. I believe you have the 720 Series Rotax Engine

3. 87 Octane is fine, and you will have an oil reserve for the 2-stroke oil. aka oil injection. So you do not need to do the premixing. If the oil pump has been removed the seller should know this and you will need to add oil to the fuel tank. The oil reserve will still need to be there to lube the rotary gear/valve.

Hope this helps get you started, search this forum for advice on buying used ski's / seadoo's there is a wealth of information available. And when you buy, i recommend signing up with premium membership where you can download OEM Shop Manuals / User Guides / Carb Rebuild Guides etc.

:cheers:

Thanks.

I take it to launch i would do this start up procedure first to warm up the engine then i guess it will be fine to launch in water and do a normal start?

Thanks for the engine info ill look at the 720 rotax info now.

Cheers for the help so far

The procedure above is also how you are going to flush the engine after you ride if you ride in Salt water. There is another thread going about salt water that Chester lists tips on post-ride maintenance.
Ski actually looks like someone took care of it.

You do not HAVE to do all of this prior to going to the ramp, but first start of each day will almost always require you to choke it. Pull choke out while pushing start button .

good luck

Once its running, its good to warm the motor up for at least a min and vary the throttle for the first few mins. then drive it like you stole it.

dont allow the ski to run without water for more than 1/2 minute, also, if you put it on the hose, make sure you dont run it longer than a few minutes, 5 minutes tops...theres a carbon ring assy, behind the motor, that'll get really hot. If you experience any signs of fuel starvation, cut'n in and out..etc, probably do to the grey fuel lines and crap build-up, inside the single carb.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Was helpful and will take that onboard for the future. I did have a chuckle out loud to the 'ride it like you stole it' comment.

If i have any other questions ill definatly post!

Any other newbie advice would be welcomed

Thanks

:cheers:

Hey Kevin! I love the 1997 GTI. I have one for myself. It's a simple, good-running ski that also looks great. I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck and welcome to the forum. You won't find a better group of individuals to answer questions you may have.

welcome to the forum!! I just sold my 97 GTI and upgraded to the 97 GTX. the GTI was the best starter ski for me. Easy to work on and not really complicated. Everything I know about ski's now pretty much came from this site. Dont worry about newbie questions around here, ask away we will be glad to help. I still have lots of questions all the time. You wont ever learn or know how if you dont ask!! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back