2012 Speedster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not own a supercharged version, but from what I understand you can take off the intake breather hose, reach in with your fingers and try to spin the turbine. If everything is in good shape and intact it is usually difficult to impossible to spin freely using just your fingers. If it is easy to spin then you likely have issues....
Any idea when the supercharger was last rebuilt?

If no other engine lights or codes when you run it, I would still lean toward a supercharger issue.

I am no expert with the superchargers, but from what I have read, they still need to be rebuilt based on time despite what Seadoo says. Think most people are still recommending every 2 years or so to be safe. Has something to do with the plastic needle bearing cages they use which become brittle and fail over time. If it grenades those small bearings get thrown all through the engine.

Since you cannot confirm it ever being rebuilt since 2012, it needs to come off and be rebuilt now. I would take it off and inspect very closely. See if all parts are still there, especially bearings, and there is not play in the shaft. Lots of youtube videos showing ins/outs of these things. If all looks good and no parts missing you dogged a bullet, and we'll need to dig a bit deeper into your issue.

Pulled the boot, I can barely move the blades. Feels very tight. Hoping that eliminates the supercharger?
Yes, should be fine. Your symptoms sound like mine this year first time out, but new plugs fixed it on the spot for me. They were new plugs you put in when you changed them?!

If no other engine lights or codes when you run it, I would still lean toward a supercharger issue.

I am no expert with the superchargers, but from what I have read, they still need to be rebuilt based on time despite what Seadoo says. Think most people are still recommending every 2 years or so to be safe. Has something to do with the plastic needle bearing cages they use which become brittle and fail over time. If it grenades those small bearings get thrown all through the engine.

Since you cannot confirm it ever being rebuilt since 2012, it needs to come off and be rebuilt now. I would take it off and inspect very closely. See if all parts are still there, especially bearings, and there is not play in the shaft. Lots of youtube videos showing ins/outs of these things. If all looks good and no parts missing you dogged a bullet, and we'll need to dig a bit deeper into your issue.
The internet, mostly sites that do rebuilds, push the 2 year interval hard and it gets repeated over and over all over the place. Yet, i don't know anybody that follows the "time" interval in real life, only hours. Imo, 2 years is silly to rebuild the sc if you're putting on less than 50 hours per season. Especially on a boat that stays in the water (ie not jumping waves) unlike skis.

Yes I put new plugs in. The boat sat for 2 years with the previous owner. I'm almost thinking the gas might be bad? It had about 2-3 gallons of the old gas in it. I filled it up yesterday with new gas. Someone recommended Sea foam treatment. Might try that.
Could try fuel filters. They are in the fuel pump, inside the tank. Not bad to access though, and the filters are readily available at auto parts stores if you do a search for the part numbers.

I was thinking of changing the fuel filters. Thanks for the tip.
Look over all connections to supercharger. Could be a loose hose losing boost pressure. 215 or 255? 215 the only connection that causes loss of boost is the hose from the sc to the throttle body. That hose is prone to crack too. 255 has more locations to check due to the external intercooler.

The internet, mostly sites that do rebuilds, push the 2 year interval hard and it gets repeated over and over all over the place. Yet, i don't know anybody that follows the "time" interval in real life, only hours. Imo, 2 years is silly to rebuild the sc if you're putting on less than 50 hours per season. Especially on a boat that stays in the water (ie not jumping waves) unlike skis.

I for one would very much like that to be true, but the fact remains supercharger failure is the arguable the #1 issue that affects these engines. There is definitely a price for power. If it were me and a new boat with a supercharger that had not been inspected for 7 years, I would pull it and go over with a fine tooth comb. The risk of not doing so can be very expensive. Most (if not all) of the experts I have known on this site recommend rebuilds around every 2 years, not more than 4; and trust that.

If the engine is otherwise running well, but not making RPM, that is classic symptom of a boost issue. I hope everything works out and you find the issue, very curious to know what you do to fix. These are great boats and engines if you maintain them well.

Below are a couple threads I remember reading about the superchargers that might help provide some additional information:

Sea-Doo Supercharger Failures

Supercharger Rebuild interval - 2009 RXP X 255

I for one would very much like that to be true, but the fact remains supercharger failure is the arguable the #1 issue that affects these engines.

That is true, and mainly due to hacks performing rebuilds and skis, not boats, that are bouncing out of the water constantly , which is the source of accelerated wear on sc slip washers.

You said the gas was 2 years old? I'd dump and replace it. Fuel separates and degrades over time, even if stabilizers were added.

When I've needed to get rid of old gas, I just post "Free Gas" on craigslists (including all the info about the age). It will be gone within a few days.

I think this is a much cheaper and easier step then rebuilding your supercharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back