HELP identify this MSD ignition

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this part with a sale, it is an MSD ignition, I bought an XP, 1995 with the 720, he said he had it working with this, I cannot identify it. Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 22
It is a rev limiter and it also runs a water injection solenoid. It's normally used in conjunction with an aftermarket pipe.

Thanks Matt, how do I find the wiring for it? And My factory pipe came with a solenoid tapped in the head, I think this one used an external solenoid? Is this the same as my Microtouch for my spec 1?

By the way, I was reading some of your very first posts on here, you have come a long way :)

It performs the same function as the Micro Touch if you have water injection on the Spec 1. That is not interchangeable though because the 787 and 717 ignition systems are way different.

Here is a pic of one in a box that I sold a member. It's the only pic I have of it but you can tell where the wires go well enough I think. The long 2-wire goes to the solenoid in the mid pipe. The 2 short 2-wires with the modules on them control the rpm that the solenoid kicks on at and the rpm that it closes at. 56164956939__54D1A3A7-CF7F-45D0-905A-22298AE94551.JPG

So This can be set up on the spec 1 on a 717 or are you saying this is for a 787? This one seems to have many more wires than what my Microtouch has.. any advantage of this vs the Microtouch? Is this adjustable?

The Spec 1 and Spec 2 are 787 pipes. The Factory Pipe for the 717 is just called a Factory Pipe. The XP and HX chambers are different and the earliest versions had a 34mm exhaust exit that would melt a rear piston on a WOT run no matter what you do so watch for that.

Your module only works on the pre-DESS 717 ignitions. It is adjustable by finding more rpm modules that have different settings but what you have is probably best for running the Factory Pipe. Don't compare wires on this to a 787 MT they are different brands on totally different ignition systems.

OK... so, I just learned a spec1 is only referring to a 787 pipe.. OK then.... Next, this is probably an XP chamber because I bought an HX pipe which fit into my SP, but there is a slightly different dent pattern on this XP pipe that was just purchased with this XP..
This XP has a pre-dess 717 system. What you are saying is the photo you showed was for a 787 ignition...

Can you open the waterproof holders and take a photo of one of the RPM modules? It looks like standard MSD RPM Pills from their window switches would fit in there. Those are still readily available from automotive speed shops like Texas Speed & Performance, since the window switches are still a common safety item for nitrous cars. If you can snap a photo of the pill itself I can tell you whether they look to be the same or not.

The photo I posted is of a MSD rev limiter/ water controller like you have correctly installed in a 95XP ignition box. Copy it if you are going to run the part in your machine.

The MSD parts to alter rpm values are still available but the ones you have are what they deemed best for the pipe you have. It looks like the last guy had his own idea of how to wire it in. I would start over and follow my picture.

What carbs did you find on it and how are they jetted? How many mm is your exhaust exit?(not the whole 2" circle but just the part where the exhaust flow comes out) Does the engine have good compression now? I ask these things because a lot of those early builds didn't work out.

im going to be putting 787 carbs on it with 142.5/75 jettings and 44PSI popoff. Thats what I did on my 720 with factory pipe and i cant blow it up (But I spun the new wear ring in the pump :)
This new project has pro-x pistons at 1.5mm , removing the Buckshot head that was installed on it and going back to stock, it has 36cc domes in it (215PSI) and I dont want to run that. Will be selling the head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back