Help! Hole in my exhaust...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgardner928

So I rebuilt everything on my boat. I was 5 days away from taking it out on the water to tune it and I noticed a new leak coming from my exhaust. So I removed it to look at the issue. It appears it was patched with something that got brittle over time and a pinhole leak happened. Didn't notice it as it was painted purple as I didn't notice it.

So...Now time to break out the Mig Welder. I grinded as much paint and metal off to get a clean surface. That's when it got worst. The pinhole got bigger and more formed. I got it clean to a point and once the heat for the mig welder hit it, what was there disintegrated making the hole get bigger. So I cleaned it up even more. Now I think the only way to fix it is to weld a fender steel washer on. I need advice on what to do on this. I'm not sure if this is made out of aluminum. And if so I'm only going to make it worse I think.

Pictures show the process and what Im thinking with the washer. Any advice? Also..should I use something like JB Weld putty and cover a fender washer with that?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 20181024_194154.jpg
    20181024_194154.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181024_194456.jpg
    20181024_194456.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20181024_194533.jpg
    20181024_194533.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181024_194614.jpg
    20181024_194614.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181024_194307.jpg
    20181024_194307.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20181024_194354.jpg
    20181024_194354.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181024_194229.jpg
    20181024_194229.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 55
you cant weld a steel washer to aluminum.
Take it to a local guy with a tig welder and have him weld up.

As others have said buy plugs from racerxx and take to a local welder. I suggest doing both lower plugs as the other one isn’t far behind. Water sits in the lower ones, typically the upper ones don’t have a problem as long as it isn’t a salt water ski.

I reached out to him to ask about buying them. I also asked this question..maybe someone here can help with an answer.

I understand the exhaust and the plugs are both aluminum. Around here they are charging about $100hr (going rate) to weld Aluminum due to the cost of the gas to weld it. I only need 1, but figured I get a couple. I have a mig welder..but I can only weld steel from what I understand about my setup.

Question...what if I sealed the plug on with JB Weld all around the plug? How long you think it would last?

JB weld will not last long. RacerXX plugs are great, I purchased a bunch from him. I don't have the ability to weld aluminum but my friend does. I took my grinder and cut off the old plugs so my friend just had to do the welding and that only took him a few minutes to weld on the new plugs. That might help keep your cost down unless they charge a 1 hour minimum.

They charge an hr minimum. That's the cheapest around here. I plan on buying RacerXX's whenever he replies to my message. My question about the jb weld is that I was going to use the jb weld where a welder would lay a weld down to hold the plugs on.

Edit: just found this "Alumaloy". No need for a welder now. I'm passing on the jb weld and getting Alumloy.

Last edited:
OK, I have 2 made in a box ready to go. Not sure what's up with the PM's here lately. I even don't see your reply in my welch plug thread in tapatalk on my phone, yet I got an email???? very weird.

If you want more than 2 just let me know. Send me a PM and I'll get you my paypal info

So, they charge $100 ah hour.........If it takes them an hour to weld 4 plugs on...........they really suck, and hour for 2 plugs.....they really really suck. My guy charges me $10 each to weld them on cash money. Lunch and a 6 pack is all it should take. That being said, if you're in a remote area they kinda have your you know what in a vise and they know they do and can charge what they want.

Im not sure whats up with PM's and such too. Not hearing back from you, I bought these. Not quite the same, but figured you were not making them anymore. Let me get them in and see if they will work or not.

On a different note...I think the "Alumaloy" will work as good, if not the ssme as the welding. You agree?

Attachments

• 20181028_110604.jpg
    20181028_110604.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 26
No worries, those should work just a little larger than the original ones were. Personally I'd rather not use sheet stock for them but that's just me. You have to have them welded on, just pay the piper once and be finished with it. Sorry I couldn't get back to you immediately, I tried but the thread just wouldn't come up on tapatalk. I'm always running around on the weekends and rarely get in front of a PC so I run off my phone 95% of the time. Hang tight on your hydroturf, Greg will get back to, remember it's the weekend, they could be out riding.

Last edited:
No worries, those should work just a little larger than the original ones were. Personally I'd rather not use sheet stock for them but that's just me. You have to have them welded on, just pay the piper once and be finished with it. Sorry I couldn't get back to you immediately, I tried but the thread just wouldn't come up on tapatalk. I'm always running around on the weekends and rarely get in front of a PC so I run off my phone 95% of the time. Hang tight on your hydroturf, Greg will get back to, remember it's the weekend, they could be out riding.

Ok..thanks again. As for Greg...tomorrow (Monday) it will be a week since I tried to contact him, which is why my first impression was he didn't work for them anymore.

Ok..thanks again. As for Greg...tomorrow (Monday) it will be a week since I tried to contact him, which is why my first impression was he didn't work for them anymore.
Greg and Joe run pwcmuscle.com and the forum here. You could always call pwcmuscle and talk to them. They're great guys and easy to deal with, I've bought a few sets of turf from them.

Yeah..
Greg and Joe run pwcmuscle.com and the forum here. You could always call pwcmuscle and talk to them. They're great guys and easy to deal with, I've bought a few sets of turf from them.
I finally got a message from them. They had the same issues as you. They were not getting Talkatalk messages either. But they hooked me up and sent me an invoice. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The finished weld. All painted and ready to be installed.

Attachments

• 20181101_235140.jpg
    20181101_235140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20181101_235130.jpg
    20181101_235130.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back