Help! Defective Interface?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there. A few questions, I have a 2006 sea doo challenger 180. Haven't taken it out in a few years. Last year lost key and had a new one made...(from a referred guy from a boat store) not from authorized sea doo dealer. Put new battery in...took out for test, none of gauges are working but drove and sounded good. About 30 mins into it, heard an alarm about 8 beeps then engine shut off. (my son was driving and I just told him to put lanyard to him and noticed he had on wrist the same time in a turn when engine made alarm. (None of the gauges were working. The side buttons worked fine- lights horn etc, but not the gas, rpm, speedometer or engine/4way. Turned off changed out fuses and still no gauges working but did notice the right side of the 4way warning gauge where it has oil,temp,eng,etc. Just the right side of that warning gauge ( i think it is the engine and temp side) came on when starting and then went off so I assume this is supposed to come on at start. We drove it around for about 45 mins and no more alarms etc. What im wondering is if the lanyard and new programmed key is having an issue? Does the left side of the warning gauge (battery and i think oil) supposed to come on as well then shut off when starting? If the lanyard was starting to come off or not sitting right, would that make that 8 beep alarm? Note: I think, if I remember right, the engine shut off by itself, not my son pulling the lanyard. Any help would be great! Thank You

Hello there. A few questions, I have a 2006 sea doo challenger 180. Haven't taken it out in a few years. Last year lost key and had a new one made...(from a referred guy from a boat store) not from authorized sea doo dealer. Put new battery in...took out for test, none of gauges are working but drove and sounded good. About 30 mins into it, heard an alarm about 8 beeps then engine shut off. (my son was driving and I just told him to put lanyard to him and noticed he had on wrist the same time in a turn when engine made alarm. (None of the gauges were working. The side buttons worked fine- lights horn etc, but not the gas, rpm, speedometer or engine/4way. Turned off changed out fuses and still no gauges working but did notice the right side of the 4way warning gauge where it has oil,temp,eng,etc. Just the right side of that warning gauge ( i think it is the engine and temp side) came on when starting and then went off so I assume this is supposed to come on at start. We drove it around for about 45 mins and no more alarms etc. What im wondering is if the lanyard and new programmed key is having an issue? Does the left side of the warning gauge (battery and i think oil) supposed to come on as well then shut off when starting? If the lanyard was starting to come off or not sitting right, would that make that 8 beep alarm? Note: I think, if I remember right, the engine shut off by itself, not my son pulling the lanyard. Any help would be great! Thank You

Wonder if you had the same thing that happened to me. There is a two-wire connection to the battery - One black and one green - they were connected to the positive side. These are supposed to go to the ground - once I changed it all worked fine!

I got a second set of keys made to use just in case I lost the first set while boating. The new set is much stiffer and harder to push on then the old one. So I had some issues when first using it where it would pop off a bit and loose the connection, engine stops. I still have to force it on harder than the original key to ensure it stays seated.

Wonder if you had the same thing that happened to me. There is a two-wire connection to the battery - One black and one green - they were connected to the positive side. These are supposed to go to the ground - once I changed it all worked fine!
oh...okay..the boat shop did a quick swap of batteries and don’t usually work on sea doos so I will have to check that! Did that make all your gauges not work though? Thanks!

I got a second set of keys made to use just in case I lost the first set while boating. The new set is much stiffer and harder to push on then the old one. So I had some issues when first using it where it would pop off a bit and loose the connection, engine stops. I still have to force it on harder than the original key to ensure it stays seated.
Hmm yea this key seems to not fit right like the original. Plus the key was done by a guy on the side who I was referred to by that supposedly works on sea doos, but not an actual sea doo shop. Im going to take key in and see if they can look at it again and take boat! Thank You!

No gauge issues but I may have a better connection or you have a side issue. Parts get replaced by newer models all the time. They don't always end up being 100% identical to the original part. So it's possible that's why my second set is so tight or it just hasn't worn in yet. I bought my boat used so not sure how the first set worked. Mine was also done by a Seadoo shop so it should be correct and does work 100% when it stays on. It hasn't popped off after 2 years of use where it's worn in more now.

Oh, did you get the same 8 beep alarm as well when it shut off? Preparing to take it out in the next couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back