HELP! Any ideas how to remove safety pins in order to replace reverse bucket?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into a problem. I can't get these pins out to access pivot bolts. Any ideas on how to remove them?
Currently i am soaking them in PB blaster....

Side view of tapered pin:
IMG_2400.JPG

Top view:
IMG_2401.JPG

New replacement pin:

IMG_7053.JPG

How about a small 8 or 10 inch claw bar sometimes called a crow bar.

End shaped like a claw hammer. Work that end under the pin head and tap with a small hammer. Tap, don't pound.

Yep... what he said.

I've use a small, sharp chisel to get under the head, and lift them up.

Chisel ended up doing the trick. Both came out relatively easy.
Found that the guy that did repair on my drive didn't use any thread locker on any of the bolts. Used this opportunity to retorque everything too.

Shifter feels a little funny. I need to follow service manual directions and adjust cable length to have bucket rest on the forward stop and provide a little tension on the cable. Otherwise i am concern that the bucket going to drop into reverse or neutral when on plane.

I generally don't use any thread locker on the pump (or IO) bolts of any boat or watercraft. They are already hard to get apart after sitting in the water. I coat them all in anti-seize.

If the bucket is up, and out of the jet nozzle... there's really no worry about it dropping into reverse. The reason is... and a lot of people don't realize this... but it's completely out of the water when on plane. Heck... your entire pump and nozzle are also out of the water when going. Only part of the system in the water is the intake grate. Because of this... there's nothing pushing it back down.

I generally don't use any thread locker on the pump (or IO) bolts of any boat or watercraft. They are already hard to get apart after sitting in the water. I coat them all in anti-seize.

If the bucket is up, and out of the jet nozzle... there's really no worry about it dropping into reverse. The reason is... and a lot of people don't realize this... but it's completely out of the water when on plane. Heck... your entire pump and nozzle are also out of the water when going. Only part of the system in the water is the intake grate. Because of this... there's nothing pushing it back down.
Ha, didn't realize that. Still planning to follow instructions to rest it against forward stop though. It will screw up my neutral a little,.

I got brand new bucket, that's why more adjustments.

Was your old bucket damaged?

Somewhat. Previous owner never changed stator lube for 16 years. Seal failed together wih impeller, shaft, wear ring, stator. $3000 in repairs. Lack of rear bearing caused excessive vibration. IT destroyed bucket bushings and it started to eat aluminum inside pivot holes. I could have just replaced bushings, but i ordered whole reverse bucket kit instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back