Help!! 1995 gts restoration!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rytom1391

Sorry i think i think i posted twice. Sorry its my first time. ok, so i lied. I am not technically a noob. I've been riding seadoos my whole life. However, this is the first time i am actually doing the work and the maintenance myself. So here is the low down!

I just bought a 1995 GTS it hasnt been used in at least 2 1/2 years. Obviously it needs some work. What is the first thing i should look for and check? I know it needs a new battery but what else?

I am having the seats reupholstered but it needs some other cosmetic help. This Seadoo was owned by my late Grandpa so i want to really bring this baby back to life. Any ideas on getting rid of some sun damage? I would also like to replace the decals. Anyone know where to buy new factory decals for this ski? I realize that would be tough to find just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Now this ski is 17 years old and in that time it has been beached a time or two. I would like to repair that damage and take out some of the scuffs and small scratches from the hull. I would like to restore the entire ski's shine. Its dulled over the years and want this thing looking showroom new! Any help would be absolutely AMAZING!!! Thank you guys for your time.

Also, is there anything that i can do to maybe improve the performance? Honestly,this is the bottom of the list. I didnt really buy it to race- more like something to take to the lake and throw around.However, i will probably be doing a little bit of towing so anything to help improve that?

Run down:
1. First thing that will probably need fixing/replacing.
2. Replace all of the factory decals with new OEM's.
3. Repair sun damage.
4. Beaching scars and making the whole ski shine!
5. Performance- towing help.

welcome to the forum! these guys are pretty great!
oh boy! lots of things to check n do n rebuild n replace.
kinda first would be,,,do not jump start it from a running vehicle!
new battery,get it cranking(dont want it to start yet)check compression,130ish i believe is good,
drain the tanks,oil n fuel.
pull the carb and go thru it,with a new needle n seat.use factory parts only.(call parker yamaha,928-669-2549,or a seadoo shop close to you)they have the carb kit in stock,may have to order the needle n seat.i deal with them all the time,real cool helpfull ppl.
fuel lines,if they are grey ,u MUST replace them,clean the selector valve also.
replace the oil injection lines and oil filter.
check the oil injection pump cable,and adjustment.
replace the pump oil in the cone.
check the impeller and wear ring,clearance is about a dimes thickness between the 2.or closer.
grease the pto and the thru hull fitting,check the driveshaft boot for integrity.
check in the pump nozzle for 2 bailer tubes,they should stick down out of the roof of the pump nozzle about an inch.
theres a start,im sure im missin sumthin,the other guys(pros) will chime in soon.
pretty cool that ur saving the old girl from a life of sitting!
oh ya,download a manual,if u dont have one
troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this took so long to reply I had my finals! Thank you so much for the reply! I wrote all of that stuff down for tomorrow. Any oil suggestions, and if so where I can buy them?

Also any suggestions about sun damage or fixing the hull where it has been beached?

What part of SoCal?

There are a bunch of threads out here regarding the oil, the bottom line is to never use the TCW-3 oil. My reference shows you have the 587 Rotax so mineral oil will work. I find Quicksilver (gray bottle) for PWC semi-synth at Walmart which should be good. Walmart also carries the Quicksilver full-synth for PWC which should also work, but is a little more expensive.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back