Hedging my bets with oil pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benstoker

Hey everyone. Finally go my 98 SPX up and running today and I need a last bit of advice before I take it out on the water. I'm 99% sure that there's no issues with the oil pump but to hedge my bet on that I'd like to add some oil to the first tank of gas I run through it then check the oil level after I run it dry. Is this advisable or should I just suck it up and pull the pump and test it?

Thanks!
-Ben

Run the fist tank 50:1, mark your oil tank. You probably won't use enough oil but at least you have a site to read from.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

rock on. I bought about a half dozen plugs because I figure I'll foul some if I premix that tank (plus it never hurts to have extras) :cheers:

I've never fouled a plug on a break in. I run 50:1 in the tank plus the pump, not a problem. You may get a stumble of the start but that's it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

One more thing.....

Mark the front and back of the tank. that way, you won't be confused if you are parked at a different angle. I would also suggest that you make sure, when you mark it... the "Check" time is in EXACTLY the same place.

The reason you have to be EXACTLY in the same place, and same mount, is that the engine won't use all that much oil, unless you burn a full tank, and ride hard. I know on my own skis, if I go out and putter around all afternoon... it will feel like a lot of riding... but the oil will look almost the same.

Thanks [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]. My plan is to have all the fluid topped off and then check the levels with it parked in my garage. Level ground and same time should give me the semi-accurate reading I'm looking for. Would you suggest a couple of tanks through the engine for a better reading?

Another test of the oil pump is to have it idle out of the water and pull the lever on the front of the engine that the cable actuates to full open. You should start to see a huge amount of smoke out of the exhaust. Then you will know your pump is actually pumping.

Hey [MENTION=53237]mikidymac[/MENTION]. Is there a risk of burning up a ring or piston in that 30 seconds that the engine is running if there's no oil being pump or are you suggesting that that be done while it's premixed?

Thanks!

Either with or without premix is fine. This is how you prime it when you change the small oil lines anyway. IF it makes you feel a little better you can drip a small amount of oil down each carb just for the initial fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back