Hard to start hot issue GONE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjustDOOit

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have used countless threads from this forum and Love this place.

I have a 2000 challenger 2000 with the 240efi, and have had some issues here and there.
Tried all the fixes for a boat that is Hard to start hot... going on 4 years now. Just use the steering bump to start hot.

Came off of plane a while back and the boat rpms would not come down from around 3500 rpms.
Removed the steering bump cable... it was rubbing against the Vapor separator... No change.
Tested all the usual suspects and ... no change.

Gave it to our Merc dealer and crossed my fingers.
HERE comes the strange part.

The said there was some corrosion on the throttle body.... Ceaned and lubricated.
Not even sure what or How they fixed it, but when I got it back..... it fixed the hot start issue Too.

I am so confused as to HOW that is even possible.
Starts first crank every time. EVERY TIME.

Sounds like your throttle shafts were sticking. Good thing you did not start on trailer with throttles open that far.

Without knowing how much time they spent on your engine, there is no way to know what else they did. Perhaps as simple as opening an intermittent connector and reclosing it properly.

Be happy. Be very happy.

not even sure how to describe, but the boat has run pretty good for years. I have been able to "work" around the starting issue. But is just has not idled the way it did when new. The idle has been Weak, for lack of a better term, always seems to just want to stall. When newer it sounded almost like a Harley.. BAP bap bap bap BAP.. STRONG. All that has come back.

Just wanted to share with the group that has shared everything that has kept our boat going for almost 20 years now.

What was your idle speed before the shop visit?
What is your idle speed now? In the water, of course.

Once it was cleared out ... before this issue, even after the hard start... 900 or so

THIS issue--- 3500
now back to 900

Idle spec is 1100 rpm. My preference is 1200 rpm. In the water, of course.

Since your boat is pushing 20 years old, have you checked your control cables? Could be causing part of your throttle sticking. How about the throttle linkage itself?
They are standard cables, not SeaDoo only item. Avail. on ebay. However, they are 3 different styles and lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back