Hard to crank; dies while at idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgorekb

Just got a 1999 Challenger 1800 last week. Took it out for the 1st time today. Port engine takes about 10-15 tries to crank even if already warmed up, and it died twice while moving at idle through the no-wake zone. Anyone know what's up?

I'm not sure what "normal" is since this is my 1st watercraft ever. When depressing the starter, the engine will turn for 2 or 3 seconds then stop even though I still have the button pressed. Other times it will turn for the complete duration of my press. But like I said, that could be normal for all I know. The boat runs great otherwise. Just want to fix little problems before they turn into big problems.

Oh and my local authorized Sea-Doo dealer refuses to perform any service on Sea-Doo boats. Fantastic huh?

*Please define abbreviations and acronyms as I am just learning terminology.

The engines should start easy, if everything is right. The seadoo Rotax engines will start with a simple 2~3 second crank.

Since the boat is new to you... and you are having problems... we always say to start with a compression check. Get those numbers, and we will go from there.

As far as the starter issue.... can you still hear it spinning? Or does it just stop? If it just stops... I'm going to say the solenoid has gone bad. If you can still hear it spinning... then either the Bendix gave up, or the battery is weak, and the gear dropped back down because it's not running fast enough.

Will do. I will worry about the starter issue later. I just posted that info thinking maybe the 2 were related. I'll update the thread when I have those numbers. Thanks.

Here are the results: Port is the troubled engine.

Port-bow: 145
Port-stern: 160

Starboard-bow: 155
Starboard-stern: 155

I noticed 1 of the plugs on port engine was black. I have replaced them, but yet to test. Do these compression numbers reveal anything interesting?

OK, just did test. Cranked like a champ out of the water. I'll keep fingers crossed that it does the same on the water.

150 is ideal on those engines.

It may have just been old spark plugs. Let us know if that helps. If not... the carbs probably need a good cleaning.

I own a 99 Challenger 1800, as well. Love these boats.

Shoals, Al...You run the Tennessee River?

Just wanted to follow-up on this thread. Took the boat out today for the 2nd time. Firing up the engines were much easier this time. Only took about 2 or 3 tries as opposed to the 10-15 a couple weeks ago.

The work I've done since the 1st outing: Changed the plugs, trimmed back the plug wires, pumped grease in the PTO boot, and changed the jet pump oil... oh and installed black diamond-cut hydro-turf. Hydro-turf is a no-brainer now that I've used it 1st hand. Makes the boat safer, looks cool, and adds value. Great product.

Had a great time on the water today. Thank you guys for your help with my questions so far. Knowing that my boat is safe and reliable for my friends and family is #1 to me. I hope I can give back in some way.

Next on the list: Clean the RAVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back