Hard Starting 250 Optimax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Port

2002 Challenger with the 250 Opti

Over the weekend I took the boat out both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday the boat started with no problem after sitting in the garage for two weeks. Sunday morning I had trouble starting it at the ramp. Turn key, wait a few seconds and turned it over, fired right up, but stalled. Followed the same process about 5 times with exact same result. Finally got it to stay running by engaging the "high idle" with wheel turned all the way. Stayed running at that point. I ran it all day with multiple starts with zero issues. This is the second time it's happened the exact same way...on the second day of consecutive use.

Pulling the plugs tonight to take a look, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I need to take a look at? Filters? Pumps?? Thoughts??

I would change the spark plugs first. BUT... did you run the bilge fan first? Mine will give me hard starts if I don't get fresh air down in the bilge.

The other thing that could be going bad is the temp sender. If it's seeing the wrong temp... it may not be fueling properly when cold.

You know what....I had been turning the bilge fan on when I was prepping the boat in the parking lot, long before backing down the ramp....Sunday I forgot and it was only on for a minute or so before trying to start. New plugs and some Fresh air....fingers crossed that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice!

Update. I had tried it a few more times leaving the bilge fan running and it didn't seem to make much of a difference so i went ahead and changed the plugs. Made all the difference in the world. I'm no expert, but the plugs didn't look bad to me. Anyone with more experience see anything out of the ordinary with the plugs?

Cylinder #1 is on the left and continues on in order
20160711_204138.jpg

They look ok. But 2-strokes are strange beasts. They can put enough heat into a plug to cook it internally. When that happens... you simply lose spark. (or get a very weak spark) Back in the day... I had a Suzuki PE400 that I raced. A plug would last exactly one day. I tried to lean out the bike to keep it clean. I also would try to clean them... but nothing would work. But... if I would simply thread in a new plug... She would start and run great. (until the next morning) So... when I would go out for a weekend... I would have to bring 2~3 extra plugs. Now... I'm sure your engine isn't that bad... but once a season is going to be normal.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad it was something simple. I'll plan on switching them out next season when(IF) I notice starting issues.

Ok, revisiting this issue.....I'm still having intermittent starting issues when cold. I think I am going to take the next step of Doc's advice and switch out the temp senders. In looking on Boats.net, there are two possible sensors(Design 1 & Design 2).....is there a way to tell by looking at them or will my serial number give me a clue as to which I need?

2002 Opti 250
Serial Number: 0E410209

I'm guessing if you try to order "Design 1"... they will just send a "Design 2" (One supersedes the other)

With that said... if you call in your order to Boats.net, they will ask for your S/N, and you will get the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back