Guidance/Help Please on 1800 Challenger with 210HP SportJet

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Over the winter and spring I replaced my motor with a re-manufactured unit. The old engine ran properly prior to snapping the connecting rod on the number 1 cylinder. I pulled everything off the motor and carefully marked everything and thought I put it back the same way. When I attempted to fire it for the first time this past weekend it would not start and only backfired, scaring the crap out of me. I have good spark and had primed the gas and oil to assure that lines and carburetors were full. I checked all of the wiring and grounds and everything appears to be tight and connected.
All of the electronic components were replaced last year with CDI components and do not appear to have been damaged.

Can anyone point me to what I might have missed or an area I should concentrate my efforts on?
I really appreciate any input you can provide me.

Thank you in advance.
Mike

Hello Tony,

The timing was off.
Set the upper screw at 24 degrees BTDC as the book says.
Am not clear on how to adjust the lower screw and the Mercury manual is not clear.
The way I interpreted it was that it hits the dead stop at the same place as the upper screw.
It will start run for several seconds and then stop.

I am understanding the book correctly?
Do you have any clear instructions or know where I can go to read or better yet view a video.

I appreciate you replying back to me and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mike

glad you found an issue with timing... but that won't make it shut off.

When it shuts off... is it a "Sputter"... or is lit like someone hits the kill switch?

Anyway... the lower screw is the idle set screw. That should be adjusted in the water only. but on that point... is the engine shutting off at idle? or are you giving it some throttle?

Tony,

Motor was loaded up with oil.
Most likely from all the cranking I did to set everything up and not disconnecting the oil injection.

Drained the carb's and it will stay running.
Going for a water test later in the week and will adjust the idle set screw.

Thank you for the help.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back