Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XARiUS

Hello All,

I am writing this post in desperation to try and fix some issues me and my brother are having on two GTX's we purchased about a month ago. :cheers:

2000 Sea Doo GTX DI Millennium Edition (5649)
1996 Sea Doo GTX 787 cc (5640)

Let me start with the issues on the 96.. We are having issues with both skis :(

The 96 will run great on the water, with a fresh battery or a quick jump from the other ski (I know your not supposed to do this but oh well, I did) I think it may just be battery troubles, so I have swapped the battery and am waiting for a good day to test it out, I will fire right up in the driveway, which is great. However, I am having problems with the battery light indicator and the fuel gauge, when I put my lanyard on the ski I do not get any beeps, the gauges will come on, the display will say my tank is full, then go out and the battery light and the fuel low lights stay on the entire time the ski is being ran. I have read post about this issue but a solution has never been stated (at least that i can find). This ski runs great other than having to jump it everytime I go to the river, oh.. and after some time running the ski it will fire up w/o needing a jump.

Things I have done:
  1. Checked all cables for corrosion
  2. Changed Battery
  3. Overlooked all electrical connections
  4. Relocated Groundwire

Now, the DI -- I really hope to get this ski running w/o dealer help. It seems like this ski is coughing so to speak, it will only do about 35mph and spudders horribly. A message comes up on the InfoCenter blinking MAINTENANCE with a flashing red light at the bottom, it seems to only get to about 4500 RPM. It does this a little past idle speed... The jetski will idle fine, and run good until you go to get on the gas, then spudders until you back off. The warning message only appears when your giving it gas, not at idle speeds.

What I've done
  1. Changed Spark Plugs
  2. Added SeaFoam
  3. Replaced Fuel Filter
  4. Checked Plug Wires
  5. Removed one wire from the 2 cylinders and started using alternating cylinders (to assure cyl was getting fuel)
  6. Check and lube elect. connections

One thing I did notice on the DI's plugs after running it like this for about 20 mins was that the No. 1 Cyl looks to be burning good while the No. 2 Cyl's plug didn't even look like its been used at all.

If anyone can help me with either of these problems I would greatly appreciate any input you may be able to offer. :confused: :confused:

Wecome... and where in Da' Burgh are you?

OK... on the first ski, it's either the stator or the voltage regulator. If the battery isn't charging, it's going to eventually die.

On the beeping thing. Most of the Ski's I play with that are older than 98... the beeper is normally dead. You can replace it from a beeper from Radio Shack. (It's in the handle bar pad)

On the jump starting thing... it's ok as long as the vehicle that is doing the jumping isn't running. If you jump it from a running vehical... you will cook your MPEM.

On the DI... it's hard to say. You need a code reader to know what's happening. Unfortunatly... you have to take it to a dealer to at least find what the computer thinks is going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the speedy reply Dr.

I'm down here on the Beaver River :cheers:

I suppose i'll take the 96 down and see if its charging while running with voltmeter 96 dont have the hose intake in the back for home maintenance. I suppose ill take the DI to get a MPEM reading, do you know what that usually cost? I for sure want to tackle the repair myself and them to just let me know what it is.

Also, do suppose the starter could be bad? It fires right up with new batt or jump pack, this would cause the fuel light to be on as well as the 12v light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back