GTX 2005 error code P-0116

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dankoustas

I have searched these forums and found that the above code is "engine temp sensor faulty", which I would figure means that the sensor is bad. I located the sensor and it is plugged in with no cut wires or anything like that. My question is this: is it safe to use my ski? I don't want to burn up the engine, but if its just a sensor, I would like to use it on July 4th. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Under what circumstances are you getting this code. Only after a high speed run or ????

Under what circumstances are you getting this code. Only after a high speed run or ????

Hi Dennis, thanks for responding. I start up the ski and go idle speed through my canal, for about 10 minutes, out to the open water. Then I hit the throttle and go about 45 mph for maybe 1 mile and the "check engine" light and beep happens. That is when I hit the "set" button 5 times to get the P0116 code. No loss of power that I can tell and it doesn't put me in limp mode.
Dan

If your coolant bottle is full then I would suspect a bad engine temp sensor. It is located at the rt. rear of the head by the small coolant bottle hose. The manual says that the sensor reading should be 2280 -2736 ohms at 66 -70 deg. F
Has anybody been working on the ski and maybe accidentally pinched off a cooing hose? I hesitate to say it's ok to ride cause there may really be a problem.

If your coolant bottle is full then I would suspect a bad engine temp sensor. It is located at the rt. rear of the head by the small coolant bottle hose. The manual says that the sensor reading should be 2280 -2736 ohms at 66 -70 deg. F
Has anybody been working on the ski and maybe accidentally pinched off a cooing hose? I hesitate to say it's ok to ride cause there may really be a problem.

Thanks Dennis, yes the coolant bottle is full, so it certainly looks like a "faulty sensor", just like the message says. Appreciate the response.

I am having a similar problem with my 2005 rxp. I just had it serviced, oil, filter, etc, The first time I took it out it took about a minute of moderate riding that it beeped, check engine came on. I checked code and it was p0116 engine temp sensor. It didn't seem to affect preformance, but it made me nervous. I just started it a few minutes ago and checked for codes. It said "END" which I understand to be no codes. Do the codes just go away? I don't think so. I pulled of the connector and re-installed it. Everything is clean enough to eat off. If I have to I can change the sensor if its the on I am thinking of. Its a blue sensor at the back of the engine near the recovery tank. Just under a black 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 coolant hose. Two wire connector. While I was riding it I checked the lake temp and the engine temp. Engine temp was 75*.

You have the correct temp sensor located. The gauge does not display engine or exhaust temp. "L-TEMP" = lake temp and "E-TEMP" = exterior temp. You need a scanner in order to read current and past engine and exhaust temps.

You have the correct temp sensor located. The gauge does not display engine or exhaust temp. "L-TEMP" = lake temp and "E-TEMP" = exterior temp. You need a scanner in order to read current and past engine and exhaust temps.

I plan on taking it out this Saturday and I am going to buy a sensor and install it. Since I now show no code, did it reset itself?

The gauge will only show you an error while it is happening. The MPEM will store the error code in its memory until it is manually removed with a scanner. So if you get the same error code on Saturday it means it is happening again and not an error from the past.

engine temp sensor

I have the same problem. I just replaced my engine temp sensor and decided to do an ohms test on the old one. You say the manual says 2280 -2736 ohms at 66 -70 deg. F. I checked my old one and at 70* it was aprox 2500 but at 60* it went up to 3800. Shouldn't the resistance have gone down? I'm confused. My recovery tank was right where it should be and all the wiring, engine, and engine compartment were spotless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back