GTI-130 Strange Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torrid87

I have a 2011 GTI-130, and the last few times that I have taken it out, it has a problem accelerating past 15mph or so for the first 2-5 minutes. After 2-5 min of running at 15mph, it seems to start getting "traction" and will start to accelerate in bursts. After about 3 min of bursting to 30-40mph and then dropping down again, it will begin to behave normally. I will have the throttle wide open the entire time. Strangely, once it has gotten over these issues, it will behave normally the rest of the day, even after shutting it down and restarting several times.

I am a bit of a jet-ski newbie, so I don't have a clue what could be causing this. The ski has 17hrs on it.

Advice and/or ideas are greatly appreciated!

I did have the 10 hr service done last year. Not sure if they do that or not. The engine doesn't sound horrible. It sounds slightly different when I am having the problems, but I assumed that was due to some sort of suction problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did have the 10 hr service done last year. Not sure if they do that or not. The engine doesn't sound horrible. It sounds slightly different when I am having the problems, but I assumed that was due to some sort of suction problem.

The plugs are not changed at the 10 hour service. They do ALMOST nothing unless you pay extra.

The fact that "once it gets over" the issue and is good leads me to think it is not an impeller/wear ring issue. It sounds more electrical to me..

I looked at the impeller and wear ring. The wear ring has some very very minor scratching, but the structure of the ring and impeller look good.

One thing I didn't mention above is that I have seen the speedometer do strange things. It will show that I am going 40mph when I am still not "out of the hole". I was thinking the speedometer was GPS based...

Should I buy some spark plugs off of EBAY?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-4-tec-NGK-DCPR8E-Spark-Plugs-RXP-RXT-GTI-GTX-3-/200631861580

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be too impatient to wait them to be shipped to be honest.

The older skis were affected by the rectifier going bad. Not sure if that is the case with the newer skis. But easy enough to test. Simply unplug it. If the problem goes away, replace the rectifier.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

I can't shake the feeling that its a mechanical issue of some kind. Almost like its sucking air or something for the first few minutes. It doesn't have the problem when I run it out of the water.

I will definitely go ahead and replace the spark plugs.

I have a 2011 GTI-130, and the last few times that I have taken it out, it has a problem accelerating past 15mph or so for the first 2-5 minutes. After 2-5 min of running at 15mph, it seems to start getting "traction" and will start to accelerate in bursts. After about 3 min of bursting to 30-40mph and then dropping down again, it will begin to behave normally. I will have the throttle wide open the entire time. Strangely, once it has gotten over these issues, it will behave normally the rest of the day, even after shutting it down and restarting several times.

I am a bit of a jet-ski newbie, so I don't have a clue what could be causing this. The ski has 17hrs on it.

Advice and/or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Change the spark plugs. The engine will run fine until you put a load on it. That is - extra pressure in the cylinder.

What rpms are you hitting when it is acting up and you are wide open?

I honestly have never paid attention to the RPMs. From what I remember, they seem to correspond directly to the throttle. I will pay attention to this next time I take it out.

With 17 hrs I can't believe it needs new plugs. Besides once it warms up it's fine. Take it to dealer sounds more like fuel injection problem on warm up. No check engine light?

Bad fuel?? Use fuel stabilizer over winter? Possible water in fuel will do that. Put in some fuel stabilizer and it will help with any if there is a little bit of water.

what you describe is exactly how the spark plugs fail. and yes, 17 hours is all you will get out of these plugs. they fail on a regular basis. just change your plugs and report back.

My 06 GTX 155 - I put new plugs in when I bought it with 56 hours on it, put on about 60 hrs without changing plugs & still ran great when I traded it in on a new 13 GTX 155.

plugs are very much hit and miss, they can last 1 hour or 100 hours. I've seen brand new plugs out the box last 5 minutes. they are not like car plugs that basically last forever, they do fail and fail frequently. don't know exactly why, but they do. do a search on here and you'll find tons of instances.

common failure mode is not firing when cold, works fine one minute and not the next, and intermittent surging at higher rpms. letting them sit all winter in fogging oil after being winterized isn't doing them any favors either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back