gsx rfi 1999 no crank with plugs tight

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KTMatt

Hi Guys, Just wanted to give an update.
I can't find my old link, but I ended up having what looked to be a starter issue, and it turned out to be a end bearing and seal issue. I replaced both and it fired right up. Symptom was it would only start with the plugs loose, but I turned the crank by hand and could hear something wrong. Big job to rebuild but I saved about 3000 or more doing it myself.

Just wanted to let others know!!!!!

Thanks Matt

Glad you got a handle on it Matt. To find a past post of yours, click on your screen name and go to "more post by KTMatt" it will display all your post ever made...12 to date.

Karl

I have a similer issue with my 1998 GTI

I am having a similar issue. I can crank all day with the plugs out. When I put both plugs in I get about a half a turn of the PTO and then CLICK. If I take one plug out, it don't matter which one, it turns over. I think my problem might be a low battery though I only had 11.98 volts and when I would put the DESS on I would not get the two beeps.

vicious,
Can it start with both plugs in very loose? I found my problem by taking the plugs out and turning the crank at the pto, and heard the bearing drop. Also if I tried to spin it the opposite way I would have a sticky spot. Listen very carefully. Another thread I saw someone said something about bearings having flat spots from rust. Water sitting to long in motor. I luck out just the end bearing on the magneto side. The seal failed.

I would be cautious running it like that I was lucky, something more didn't happen when I ran it with the plugs loose. I could start it and I tightened the plugs and it seemed to run great. BUT I DID HEAR SOMETHING A LITTLE ODD.
I thought it was the starter because I found the brushes frozen up and I used WD40 to free them. It almost sounded like sparking.

But when I got it together today it fired right up. Much to my wifes dissmay. The only issue I had with the the test ride was 12v low, on the brand new battery. I didn't do the trickle charge. I will test again tommorrow after the charge tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back