GSX Limited (951 - 1997.5) Engine Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mett248

See videos here. I was out in the water today pushing ~3/4 throttle when the ski bogged down and died. It refused to start again, and the clock reset when I managed to get it restarted after multiple MPEM reseats. Starter would not go, but began to barely kick at first, then came back to full power after a couple tries. The ski then refused to stay at idle and needed extra throttle to keep it from stalling to get me to shore all while making the lovely knocking and other noises heard in the videos. Surprisingly getting back the noises and shaking stopped when again pushing past ~3k rpm but as soon as the gas was let go it would die again. Any ideas as to the cause or what to think here? Haven’t run a compression test yet but think I need to. Ski has ~145 hours. Battery is new so ignore the warning, and plenty of two cycle oil in the injection tank. Also did all new gas lines, filters, and major maintenance at 110hrs. At this point I’m weighing my options between rebuilding myself, having a rebuilt done, or just selling the ski and getting a 4 stroke as the rebuild options will probably cost as much as I got the ski for just in parts.

If you want to have it rebuilt I would highly recommend 5 star PWC put of Michigan, 1200 bucks with pro x pistons and crank rebuilt in house with WSM bearings and seals. 1 year warrenty aswell

Last edited:
If you want to have it rebuilt I would highly recommend 5 star PWC put of Michigan, 1200 bucks with pro x pistons and crank rebuilt in house with WSM bearings and seals. 1 year warrenty aswell
I’ve heard good reviews of them too. Unfortunately that’s as much as I bought the ski for originally. I’ll probably just sell it as is, if that’s the consensus.

Status report:

Plugs are good on both. Compression test says 115 (Mag), 85 (Output side). Good spark on both, no corrosion in the MPEM. Fuel filter is good, new lines are good, carb was adjusted per factory. This a typical case of the usual needing a new top end?

Yes those numbers are low, however I would recommend doing a full rebuild rather than risking just a top end

the 115 is fine, the 85 is a no go. The difference between the numbers is as (if not more) important that the numbers... that much of a gap means that engine's coming out! Without compression, nothing you do will fix it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back