grinding noise coming from drive shaft area

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick571

when starting the starboard side engine on my 07 speedster wake boat, there is a grinding sound coming from the drive shaft area as if there is a bearing or boot or spacer that has given out. Any Ideas of what is causing this? It is intermittent and only on the starboard side. The boat runs fine, can't really hear the noise when it's in the water

Pull the pump and inspect it. Also remove the rear cone to make sure no water has made its way inside the bearing and shaft housing.

Supercharged? If so before starting again check the supercharger, sounds can echo around.

might be onto something there, I had both superchargers rebuilt with the steel washers not long before this began

Whatever you do then don’t crank the engine until you’ve inspected them. Trust me, had sc bearing blow up and was like a shotgun thru engine. Horrible screeching sound when it cranked up before it died. Nothing like learning from school of hard knocks.

I have a mechanic scheduled to look at it later this week, hopefully it will turn out to be something in the pump/propulsion section grinding rather than the SC. That was a big fear of mine, knowing it had the ceramic washers. I replaced both of them a couple of years ago and I haven't put many hours on the boat since then. Overall the boat is in great shape to be 12 years old now. I'll keep ya'll posted on what it ends up being, thanks for chiming in!

Roger that, actually had one of the local Seadoo dealer's mechanics tell me it was a boot that needed to be replaced and I never got around to getting it checked out until now.

Roger that, actually had one of the local Seadoo dealer's mechanics tell me it was a boot that needed to be replaced and I never got around to getting it checked out until now.

Wonder if he was referring to the carbon seal boot? Those can make noise and are a huge problem if they ever fail while out on the water.

could very well be, I've had it out on the water a few times and it's always pretty muffled then. Where does this seal fit? Which parts schematic page would it be on? I need to see if it's even available

could very well be, I've had it out on the water a few times and it's always pretty muffled then. Where does this seal fit? Which parts schematic page would it be on? I need to see if it's even available

Parts 23-28 are for the carbon seal. Section of schematic is at top (propulsion system - external)

Carbon Ring Bellows.jpg

And they are showing as available, hope this turns out to be the culprit, I was looking at the bellows earlier but it never registered as a boot

And they are showing as available, hope this turns out to be the culprit, I was looking at the bellows earlier but it never registered as a boot

This happened to me 2 years ago and I pulled the pump and it was just a 10 dollar part that had corroded a bit and was grinding on the drive shaft.

Is it like a horrible grinding noise?
it was pretty bad out of the water, starting both before putting the boat in the water you know, just to be sure they would both start. Once in the water the grinding could not be heard. Turns out the carbon ring around shaft was worn and has been replaced. Once in the water it was being lubricated and the grinding stopped. I'm told its common for boats that sit up for long periods like mine has at times through the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back