Going to the dark side.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikidymac

Staff member
So you all know I love my Seadoo’s but I have been cheating on them lately.

I haven’t had a standup since 1998 and now that all my seadoos are done I needed a new ski project.
So I picked up this hull and started acquiring parts. It’s a 2000 Superjet.
384a01a50e90489d5772f16d60ab6a47.jpg

Previous owner hacked up the tray and did a horrible job reglassing and delaminating badly.
2379c45a5271d3fd9fc83206b1342e0a.jpg

So out with the old and reinforcing and rebuilding the tray.
e7e2d9f5e57a30722a8f7a892137d769.jpg

Oh, as you know skis can’t stand to be alone and I didn’t want the superjet to get picked on by all the seadoos so this little 1991 followed me home yesterday to keep the 01’ company.
9fa3dc9860ce4b2e4ddeaabe398fdc14.jpg

Stay tuned.....

Sweet. I've often thought that may be more fun, but then my old bones disagree.

Is it the classic nature and supply/demand that commands the high prices? Sort of like the classic auto world?

Sweet. I've often thought that may be more fun, but then my old bones disagree.

Is it the classic nature and supply/demand that commands the high prices? Sort of like the classic auto world?

I honestly don’t know what the reason is. There are always plenty on Craigslist and Yamaha is still making new ones.
A Square Nose goes for about $1,200-$2,000 and you typically can’t touch a Round Nose for less than $4,000 and anything newer than about 2010 is $5K on up.

Guys in Michigan are asking as much as $7k for SXR 800's and the cheapest one I found on craigslist was $4200 and it looked rather beat up. I have seen similar pricing for round nose Superjets here as well. I don't get why anyone would buy a used one when a new one can be had not much more, especially during the end of the season. I rarely buy new, but next year I will pull the trigger on a new Superjet because I refuse to pay those stupid prices on a used one. The crazy thing is people are paying that because I have inquired (curiosity) on a few that sold within days. Pretty nuts!

Guys in Michigan are asking as much as $7k for SXR 800's and the cheapest one I found on craigslist was $4200 and it looked rather beat up. I have seen similar pricing for round nose Superjets here as well. I don't get why anyone would buy a used one when a new one can be had not much more, especially during the end of the season. I rarely buy new, but next year I will pull the trigger on a new Superjet because I refuse to pay those stupid prices on a used one. The crazy thing is people are paying that because I have inquired (curiosity) on a few that sold within days. Pretty nuts!

The reason is that to buy a new one you have to get an IJSBA racing card and in some states you can't buy or register them due to emissions regulations. The superjeta are now a closed course competition model due to their deal with the EPA. For states that you can still buy them, I agree you would be stupid to buy a used one for more than a new one.

Even here where prices are stupid the SXR's only go for about $5-6K. Used superjets are usually 4.5-6K.

I'd love to buy a superjet! all standup skis are banned on our lake tho :( marine patrol would be all over me before getting 200' off my dock! :rolleyes:

Why are standups banned? That is just weird.
yep- in the "live free or die" state, all stand up, single & double skis are outlawed. only 3 seaters are allowed on lakes. the registration MUST say the vessel is over 12' and classified as a "PWC", not "jet ski"- only 3 seaters can be classified as a pwc. ironic tho- there's no helmet law, fireworks are 100% legal, we're constitutional carry (no permit needed to buy & conceal firearms) and car insurance is optional... but jump on your 2 seater gtx and you'll get a $70 ticket :rolleyes: it's a big reason why i sold the 2 seater trixx i just bought last year and picked up this sportster. i had no idea about the regulation until marine patrol pulled up to my dock and asked to see my trixx reg- he "educated" me on the 1989 ruling banning jet skis. :mad:

yep- in the "live free or die" state, all stand up, single & double skis are outlawed. only 3 seaters are allowed on lakes. the registration MUST say the vessel is over 12' and classified as a "PWC", not "jet ski"- only 3 seaters can be classified as a pwc. ironic tho- there's no helmet law, fireworks are 100% legal, we're constitutional carry (no permit needed to buy & conceal firearms) and car insurance is optional... but jump on your 2 seater gtx and you'll get a $70 ticket :rolleyes: it's a big reason why i sold the 2 seater trixx i just bought last year and picked up this sportster. i had no idea about the regulation until marine patrol pulled up to my dock and asked to see my trixx reg- he "educated" me on the 1989 ruling banning jet skis. :mad:
WOW! that is crazy. Even California isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back