Glastron Rotax Powered Jet Drive Review

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

devonte007

Just got to reading my April issue of Boating Magazine and came across a feature article on the new Glastron line which includes the Seadoo Rotax powered version. I found it interesting. It compares the outboard, sterndrive, and Rotax jet drive versions of the same boat. Thought I would share the article as it may appeal to some of you out there:

Online link:
http://www.boatingmag.com/engines/boat-engine-comparison-outboard-vs-sterndrive-vs-jet-drive?page=0,0

P.S. - Wasn't quite sure where to post this thread so feel free to move it to a more appropriate location as necessary

I read the same article, seems like they picked the outboard as the overall winner. The stern drive Mercruiser 2nd. place. Guess who was third? At least that was my take on the article.

Lou

I looked at these last fall, I love the rumble seat on the back of the rotax, but the wife wanted the sunpad on the back instead. Honestly, I have been an outboard guy for 20 yrs but went with the fuel inj. 4.3 Volvo, it had an extra 4 year warranty then the Merc. I know the outboard scored quit high but you loose out on seating, the sundeck and swim platform which is great for wakeboarding.

Oh and the rotax did not come as a fish n ski which was key for me, the front and back convert from seating/laying to casting decks, I gotta have the livewell, pedestal seats and 24 v E trolling motor. So went with the GT185 F/S and love it.
Pic is kinda crappy

Let me be the first to ask this. I have a 19ft Glastron w/ a 4.3 L V6......how can I put a 4Tec in there?????? :)

I was surprised that the Rotax was the least expensive of the 3. I wish they would compared HP a little closer...maybe the black Max 200 or 250 HP outboard, with the other two, then lets see the MPG ratio and weight stats.

Sure you can, it just depends how deep your pockets are. How fast do you want to spend?

Lou

The jet ran 43.5 mph, handicapped despite its power advantage by its lack of trim, which on the outboard and sterndrive let us raise the bow and reduce drag. It’s important to note that the running surface of the jet-powered GTS 187 is specific — Glastron did not simply drop the jet drive into the sterndrive hull and call it a day.

OK, what does the running surface mean? Are they referring to the ride plate?

Also if you could trim the boat, do you think you can get more speed out of the boat? There has to be a reason why there is not a trim adjustments on these boats (cost?, other reasons?).

However, because the jet pump has no rudder, it does not track well at no-wake speeds and, until you get the hang of it, can be much more difficult to control around a dock or when loading a trailer.
Oh Gawd! They did not mention the other aspect of operation of having a real steerable neutral and once you do get used it, the jet boat is the easiest to dock.

Back