gas in the hull of a 1998 spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoopy2

I am trying to figure out what ways gas can find it's way into the hull, there are usually about 2-3 cups of gas in the hull after running it--my first thought was a leaky gas tank, is this a prominent problem in these machines? Upon a quick inspection, I don't see any thing out of the ordinary, can't really tell on the bottom of the tank however. I did have leaky oil bins in both skis in which I now mix the oil right in the gas after disabling the oil injection.

It seems now that water may in the gas tank as well, the machines are not "firing on all cylinders" I did replace the plugs. Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated

quick update, it is not the gas tank leaking- I pulled it and it seems intact---trying to figure out where else the gas could be coming from

Hi & welcome to the forum...Where is here?

Anyways check all fuel line clamps,
cracked fuel filter if you have one,
crack in carb???,
fuel baffle not tight on the tank and fuel is bouncing out.

Do you still have the gray tempo fuel lines, if so then change them to black ASAP and add an in-line fuel filter if you don't have one. A Fram G-2 works well.

besdies the obvious...(checking all fuel line connectors)

check your fuel water separator.

they can develop little cracks that you can't spot visually.

I've had those go bad on me twice.

266.jpg

ps... do NOT start or run this machine if your have a known gas leak until its resolved, 4th of July is over, we don't need any more fireworks.

if its only after you've been riding, and not just when sitting, i'd bet on a cracked return or tank vent line.

Try putting those blue thick shop towels down in the hull under fuel areas and run briefly. If you have a leak you will find out what area it is coming from. Oh yeah....no smoking! Be sure to remove towels when finished. Hope this helps.

Listen to Spim first: do not attempt to start this thing or do anything with the electrical until you find the problem; this is no joke, there are many stories of people badly injured or killed due to gasoline fires on boats. Vent everything out and disconnect the battery first. Then can apply a little air pressure to the fuel tank after blocking vents (little air pressure means only a couple pounds). Feel around the fuel line routing, common to find brittle fuel lines that crack and leak.

Good luck and stay safe.

Rod

if its only after you've been riding, and not just when sitting, i'd bet on a cracked return or tank vent line.

I pulled the tank, drained and inspected it, it seems intact unless the leak is at a seam and can be seen only when the tank is pressurized.

However, I cleaned the hull of all liquids, put back on the ski lift and let sit overnight, checked it this morning and there IS more gas in the hull maybe 1/8 of a cup, too much in my opinion, I cleaned it better than that--could it be the carb seals from the remaining gas in the engine? Thanks, for all the posts guys

I meant the fuel lines rather than the tank. Did you put towels in the hull to see where it's dripping?

sorry for the delayed update---the gas was leaking from the carb--rebuilt it, running great again, thanks for all the support, much appreciated

I would get gas in the bilge only when the Ski was ridden. Turned out it was the fuel filter / water separator. A 14 year old tired gasket.

What about pressure testing the carbs? Put the tester inline. With the fuel supply line pinch up stream. See if you can make them leak with 4 pounds of pressure. Clamp the lines so no leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back