Fulton Hinge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkbob

Hey guys. I need an extra 6" added to my garage. Or I need to add a hinge to the front of my trailer. I see a lot of these boats actually came with a trailer that has the tongue on a hinge so I have decided to add one to mine.

The Trailer shop says the best and safest method is to weld on a Hinge. I have a galvanized trailer so welding is a tough (and expensive) job. The owner claims he has seen a lot of the bolt-on hinges fail.

On the other hand, it's a very light trailer and I've definitely seen a few of them with bolted on hinges. Is that actually a real risk? Any of you guys have the bolt-on hinge? What do you say - blow an extra $200 and get it wielded or save the bucks and go bolted?

Last edited:
very nice.... and certainly solved the length issue. I found it interesting that there is a safety chain that comes with the installation. I guess the only way that would come into play is if bolt and pin failed together...or the weld. Looks solid to me...

very nice.... and certainly solved the length issue. I found it interesting that there is a safety chain that comes with the installation. I guess the only way that would come into play is if bolt and pin failed together...or the weld. Looks solid to me...

The chain didn't come with the hinge but the guy who installed it says it's "required". He didn't say by who but it seemed like a good idea to me.

Safety chains are most definitely a good idea. I know a few people who have avoided serious trouble thanks to their safety chains.

Most recent was a couple of years ago with my pro bass friend. He was leaving early in the morning for a tournament and forgot to put the hitch pin lock in place. A few miles down the road the hitch came out of the receiver and the trailer only stayed attached to the truck due to the chains. The trailer tongue hit his tailgate and did some damage but he didn't lose his trailer possibly causing more damage to the boat and/or other vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back