Fuel Sending Unit 2003 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

So as some of you are aware my boat is a 2003 (hull number verified) with a 2001 NON EFI motor. My fuel gauge shows empy when i turn the key on however i see it about 1/2 or a tad more full. Where is the sender located? I looked at the parts diagram and it wasn't apparent on what part i would buy if its bad or where its located. I am guessing its part of the pickup and cannot be purchased separately? I am also wondering if the engine swap has something to do with why it reads empty. Is there an Ohm test i can perform at the connector?

My challenger 2000 sending unit is in the fuel tank near the fuel sending tube in the base of it... you have to open it and a lot of youtube video's how to fix it DIY, yes you can do ohm's test but mostly the F1 fuse is the problem and you can't change it and all you have to do is to bypass it with soldering iron and apply an external fuse just to prevent fire.... or can buy a new sending unit check it online.

I opened it tonight. The sender on mine doesn’t have a fuse. It has a white baffle with 2 magnets. The baffle has some gas in it so it must be leaking. I plugged it in and turned it up and down and the resistance went from 3ohms (fully floating) to 90 (fully at the bottom). This tells me the ballest is not floating eel. Also the tank looks half full but it appears 78ohms doesn’t move the gauge. It moves at about 50-3 from empty to full. Must me the reserve in the bottom

There are several things that fail in the gage sender, most already mentioned.
First, I would say if you are going to work on it, position boat/trailer bow down.

Getting the unit out can be a PITA with all the hose clamps.

Aside from the fuse failing, there a magnetic reed switches whose contacts seize. They connect to small resisters on the long strip. Different resisters turned on by different mag. reed switches actuated by magnets in the float that may not float.

There are "rebuilders" on ebay that can repair it faster/easier than you. There are at least 2 lengths.

we will see when the new ballast float arrives. I can repair it myself. The current one works when i move it left and right out of the tank its just there is a crack. If the new one arrives the same size then i will pop it in and be on my way. Its amazing how much of the tank isnt read by the sender. Its almost like 35-40% wont trip the gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back