Fuel keeps displacing the oil I’m putting in the counter balance reservoir area...Possible flooding?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had this beast for 12 years...
It’s tried to run away many times not even trying to rev it lol....
That’s a scary beast sometimes!
Do you know if the 951 2000 GTX rave solenoid is supposed to be powered with 12 volts all the time or if it doesn’t have any power till higher rpms?

I have tested a couple of rave solenoids and when voltage is applied they "open." So it is logical that they receive no voltage to open until the computer determines the engine has reached the proper RPM. Check your exhaust hose for collapsing. They come apart internally.

I have a 2000RX in the stable and I really like that ski. It ran away on me the first time I started it after restoring it. I was in the drive way. That was an experience I'll remember.

Ok thank you...
That makes sense...no power to solenoid at low rpms had me wondering if it the MPEM was acting up or if it calls for power at higher rpms.
Of course all the different skis and engines may be different so it’s hard to know for sure.
Run away engine is a nightmare especially if it’s on a completely rebuilt engine!
Thanks again!

The RAVES open around 4500 rpm, not 6200 rpm. You would be stuck about 5,000 rpm if they were not opening which happens sometimes on the 787 engines.

The RAVE solenoid does not get power until the MPEM sends 12V to it.

If you are stuck at 6200 I would be checking the carbs for fuel starvation, the water regulator valve on the waterbox and if your ski has one the TPS on the throttle cable.

The RAVES open around 4500 rpm, not 6200 rpm. You would be stuck about 5,000 rpm if they were not opening which happens sometimes on the 787 engines.

If you are stuck at 6200 I would be checking the carbs for fuel starvation, the water regulator valve on the waterbox and if your ski has one the TPS on the throttle cable.
Nothing wrong with the brand new carbs, all new lines, filter etc etc.
Even pulled the baffle cleaned out the tank which wasn’t dirty at all just did it to know it wasn’t a problem.
On another pwc site they said it’ll be stuck around 6200 in the tps on the throttle cable isn’t working properly.
I’m going to try it out again now,
Thanks

The raves can open without the rave solenoid in operation they just won't work properly and probably won't open fully. I rode my RX with the rave hose disconnected and since I wasn't running wide open I didn't realize it. They can trick you. :D

The raves can open without the rave solenoid in operation they just won't work properly and probably won't open fully. I rode my RX with the rave hose disconnected and since I wasn't running wide open I didn't realize it. They can trick you. :D
Today I tried it with the springs and caps off the rave valves and no change in the.
I’m starting to think the throttle position sensor is the issue here.
I checked it according to what I read and it didn’t check out ok as working normally.
I have replaced that piece of exhaust hose you were talking about.
It blew out on me a while back and got replaced.
Thanks for the tips!

I ordered a new throttle cable...
I went through the process of checking it for proper voltage and it failed the test.
It’s also probably the only part on the ski that hasn’t been replaced since it was made about 22 years ago!
I’m sure it’ll take care of the problem...I’ll post the results next week when I get it installed to hopefully help anyone else with this issue.

Hmmmm.... that's logical. Sometimes the raves will open a bit without the solenoid but likely not all the way. You betta watch that 951 Engine if you're revving it out of the water. They will RUN AWAY quickly. Gotta pull the choke if they do.
Final piece of the puzzle was definitely the TPS....
Throttle position sensor had me stuck around 6200 RPM’S
replaced it and now at 6930 RPM’S
57-58 MPH.
Finally...I’ve done a lot of work to it and it’s gotten better with each thing I’ve done.
So anyone that has similar issues....check the TPS, throttle cable! If it has a TPS it’ll definitely screw things up if it’s not working!

Hmmmm.... that's logical. Sometimes the raves will open a bit without the solenoid but likely not all the way. You betta watch that 951 Engine if you're revving it out of the water. They will RUN AWAY quickly. Gotta pull the choke if they do.a few times and learned my lesson.

It’s some scary shit when they run away too!
I’ve experienced it several times and learned my lesson. Have to pull the choke like your life depends on it and pray the choke cable don’t break lol.

I have always just pulled the choke on a runaway to kill it.

If it doesn't have a choke I have been told to just hold the throttle wide open and hold the stop button or pull the lanyard. The wide open throttle will also add fuel and air to cool the combustion chamber enough to kill the engine but I have not tried it myself as all my skis have chokes.

I have always just pulled the choke on a runaway to kill it.

If it doesn't have a choke I have been told to just hold the throttle wide open and hold the stop button or pull the lanyard. The wide open throttle will also add fuel and air to cool the combustion chamber enough to kill the engine but I have not tried it myself as all my skis have chokes.
Since there is no rev limiter on a run away I wonder what RPM the engine gets too? I trust that 951 about as far as I can throw a bulldozer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back