Fuel keeps displacing the oil I’m putting in the counter balance reservoir area...Possible flooding?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that my dual carburetors are flooding the engine and I’ve got new carbs on the way.
Mine were in real bad shape.
But I’m not sure how the fuel is getting into the counterbalance area and diluting the oil I keep putting in there with fuel.
I just wanna make sure that’s not an indication of a bigger problem.
Just curious if engine flooding would do that.
Or if I have bigger problems.
The compression is fine around 125 and 124.
2000 Sea-Doo GTX 951 engine.
Thank you for any information!

Last edited:
You have bad seals somewhere in the crankcase, either the balancer shaft seals or inner crank seals, that is the only way fuel can get into the balancer area and id is not good. Once you dilute the balancer oil you will loose a balancer bearing and it will blow a hole in the cases. You need to get it fixed.

You have bad seals somewhere in the crankcase, either the balancer shaft seals or inner crank seals, that is the only way fuel can get into the balancer area and id is not good. Once you dilute the balancer oil you will loose a balancer bearing and it will blow a hole in the cases. You need to get it fixed.
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that.
I rebuilt the carbs but what it was doing before and after the carb rebuild convinced me I have bigger problems.
Having to hold the choke to get it to take off.
Then I thought maybe it was something I did wrong in the carburetors. I’ve pulled them several times and gone through them. I rebuilt the carbs about 12 years ago and it worked great.
About 12 years ago the engine was rebuilt by full bore and it’s probably time for another rebuilt looks like.
I’ve been replacing the oil in there every time I try it out...
I knew it was bad that I was having to do that...
Oh well thanks again for the information.

I’m not sure if anyone’s ever tried the old-school little bit of brake fluid to make the rubber swell again...or this stuff...
But I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

• C6BC53AC-3964-42E5-B7E2-58350A45C096.png
    C6BC53AC-3964-42E5-B7E2-58350A45C096.png
    559.9 KB · Views: 23
  • F65BC890-8D69-485B-BD30-FE12C9E19732.png
    F65BC890-8D69-485B-BD30-FE12C9E19732.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 23
Believe it or not this rebuilt engine doesn’t have a whole lot of hours on it.....
It’s been sitting around a lot unfortunately. Now that I have time I’m getting it restored.
I’m going to see what happens...
Hopefully it just needs some exercise and to get the seals back to life again.
Going to find out very cautiously and if it needs a rebuild then it needs it.

Hello I recently purchased a 1999 gtx ltd with the 951 unknown history but looks very clean. I drained the cb oil as a Safety and the oil also smell gasoline but was still thick enough. I don't know how long it has been in there.
I replaced with new oil and run it for about 30 min since then. I'll check the oil again to see how fast it is diluting.
Do you know if it is fast on yours?

Hello I recently purchased a 1999 gtx ltd with the 951 unknown history but looks very clean. I drained the cb oil as a Safety and the oil also smell gasoline but was still thick enough. I don't know how long it has been in there.
I replaced with new oil and run it for about 30 min since then. I'll check the oil again to see how fast it is diluting.
As they mentioned above fuel is not supposed to get in that area at all however...
I added a modification so I can keep oil in there regardless if I have problems or not.
Also after I replaced my carburetors it stopped flooding and I checked it after I added this line to keep oil in the cb area. After running all day for two days no more fuel in cb area.
It was filling up replacing the oil within 30 minutes of running.

Attachments

• 02E9F9C4-85CE-4A66-8F72-2F5F370BACE2.jpeg
    02E9F9C4-85CE-4A66-8F72-2F5F370BACE2.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 8EF55268-206B-4EEB-A2F6-21CF1F4CAE5A.jpeg
    8EF55268-206B-4EEB-A2F6-21CF1F4CAE5A.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 14
  • E92D9A5A-13DB-44AA-AD07-B40DEC6C281A.jpeg
    E92D9A5A-13DB-44AA-AD07-B40DEC6C281A.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 14
  • D69E3A5B-8DE4-48FA-9878-3EE2146517D3.jpeg
    D69E3A5B-8DE4-48FA-9878-3EE2146517D3.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 13
  • BFB434F0-862B-4649-8FCA-4D8AE366C614.jpeg
    BFB434F0-862B-4649-8FCA-4D8AE366C614.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 34D1290F-C620-4A67-AB58-2A25617C7D39.jpeg
    34D1290F-C620-4A67-AB58-2A25617C7D39.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 16
I would definitely keep an eye on it or as they mentioned above it could be big problems if it runs with gas instead of oil in there.
Mine was pure gas...dirty gas.
I check mine before and after I take it out and top off my oil feeding tube I added.
Much easier to keep up with it now for sure!

Thanks for the tips about the feeding tube.
Yeah I definitely do not want to run it on gas instead of oil there.

So it looks like your problem was primarily due to flooding from the carb? Did you use the sealer liquid you mentioned?

Yep...It’s a gamble I was willing to take but I’m just experimenting...
It’s not standard practice...
It’s used for automotive rear crankshaft main seals and this is used for just about any seal.
(Try at your own risk)
I wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t have a problem.
I did it as a last resort to see if it’ll keep an engine rebuild from needing to be done.
I add a small amount to a gallon of oil shake it up and put it in the oil tank.
I also put a small amount mixed up well in the oil I put in the cb area.
Less than the recommendation because this is made for 4 stroke automobile oil.
I use a tiny bit of both of them.
This one has much better reviews.
If it works it’ll restore the seals.
Pretty sure in my case the ski was sitting a while not being used with rebuild engine in it.
So I believe it’ll work in my case.
We’ll see...
Waiting for someone to let me know how crazy I am to think of trying to restore a seal rather than just rebuild the engine.
I try all options first and it’s running perfect and doesn’t burn extra oil...
Only for a few minutes till it warms up and that could just be the extra oil I have feeding the cb area.
Good luck...(disclaimer) try anything I do at your own risk.
Hahaha

Attachments

• 1FFCE15D-59EC-4DC8-8C9E-2FA6F5848774.png
    1FFCE15D-59EC-4DC8-8C9E-2FA6F5848774.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
As long as it is working for you and you have an eye on it I would call it a good idea eventough it is not the standard method
I'll keep you posted on mine for info. My secret hope is that the small fuel amount was there from the 20+year of use and maybe no oil replacement. The PO also told me that it has not ran for a few year...

You could also try putting a heavier weight oil in the reservoir. I'd try 50 wt. Sometimes putting a detergent oil in reserviors like this can clean away build up and cause leaks to appear. I don't know of the manual is specific but years ago misapplications of lubrcants caused problems like this. I remember applications like air compressors and older engines "non-detergent" oils were recommended. Good Luck.

My manual said SAE 30 non detergent oil. I like the idea of the tube but on the 951 how are you able to check the level with that? Normally it calls for 1.3 ounces or so of oil on that motor.

My manual said SAE 30 non detergent oil. I like the idea of the tube but on the 951 how are you able to check the level with that? Normally it calls for 1.3 ounces or so of oil on that motor.
If the crank seals were leaking as mine seemed to be...
I just add a little extra and it smokes a little more at first and burns it off.
Now that the flooding situation has been fixed it doesn’t get fuel in there anymore.
I just add a little more than needed and before I go out each time I add and keep the tube with oil in it.
With the crankshaft sealer additive I’m pretty sure it’s fixed the problem I was having. The ski sat not being used a lot with a rebuilt engine and just needed some attention it seems.
All good now! I’m out on it a lot these days! Super easy to keep up with the counter balance oil now.
I vacuumed out the oil to make sure no fuel was getting in there now.
Easy....

Attachments

• ABF76B46-4CAD-4A6C-8148-8862F572FCF2.jpeg
    ABF76B46-4CAD-4A6C-8148-8862F572FCF2.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 9
  • D9D7D3AC-1165-4F45-A509-F681769E427F.jpeg
    D9D7D3AC-1165-4F45-A509-F681769E427F.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 6B04D29C-B022-4EA1-A94F-EB5BB85555A2.jpeg
    6B04D29C-B022-4EA1-A94F-EB5BB85555A2.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7C531383-F242-4DCF-B7B9-671ED13B4C59.jpeg
    7C531383-F242-4DCF-B7B9-671ED13B4C59.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 10
That’s great it worked. If there was excess fuel in the crankcase it could contaminate that oil pretty easily with weak seals. The piston going down Alone could create pressure to overcome the seal.

For me I can't imagine enough raw fuel in the engine to find its way into the balance shaft chamber. No contesting it I just find is awfully strange. :D Before I would feel comfortable with your proposed solution I'd pressure test the cavity. As an a side, that would be a hell of a leak that would deplete the oil in the balance shaft reservior in justs few hours.

I am intersted in the stop leak as I purchased some transmission sealer for my wife's ski. Her ski has crank seals leaking and it will lock the engine after sitting for 2 weeks. I installed a valve so it's fixed. LOL It is a real pain in the azz to get the oil out after then engine locks up. Good Luck !!

For me I can't imagine enough raw fuel in the engine to find its way into the balance shaft chamber. No contesting it I just find is awfully strange. :D Before I would feel comfortable with your proposed solution I'd pressure test the cavity. As an a side, that would be a hell of a leak that would deplete the oil in the balance shaft reservior in justs few hours.

I am intersted in the stop leak as I purchased some transmission sealer for my wife's ski. Her ski has crank seals leaking and it will lock the engine after sitting for 2 weeks. I installed a valve so it's fixed. LOL It is a real pain in the azz to get the oil out after then engine locks up. Good Luck !!
Totally shot carbs caused extreme flooding which I suspected was happening.
That’s been fixed and fuel in cb area has been eliminated.
Runs great now and seals seem to not have any problems whatsoever.
I believe the crankshaft seal additive helped but whatever was going on isn’t anymore.
Not burning excess oil or anything strange that would happen with bad seals.
The only thing it does is smokes a little more than usual for about a minute while warming up and after that no problems at all.

Ok.... Here’s a photo from another site of a discussion they had.
I’m just wondering if anybody can confirm that this throttle cable needs to be replaced if you hold your throttle to 80% or more and you have 5 V DC and it does not drop to 0 V DC when you get to 80% throttle or more.
Mine does not drop voltage to 0 v dc....
It’s stuck at 6200 rpm and I know it’ll go to 6950 and 60mph good compression, new wear ring, just put all new check valves including gas tank and rave valve check valves and new rave valve solenoid and lines.
New exhaust gaskets, new carbs...
Running way better than it was but it seems to be stuck at 6200 rpms...
Cleaned and rebuilt rave valves with new everything.
It just randomly got peak rpms and mph but then back to 6200 rpm.
Stays exactly at 6200 at wide open throttle.
Going to try it again tomorrow after new rave valve check valve.
I don’t think that was a problem because I didn’t find anything wrong with the line and the check valve seem to be working as it should but I replaced anyway. Since replacing old parts is never a bad idea on a restoration.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2A72CD25-34FD-487F-9BC0-F1C46B1DC378.png
    2A72CD25-34FD-487F-9BC0-F1C46B1DC378.png
    672.8 KB · Views: 7
On the rave valve solenoid that has two wires going to it says 12 V on it.
Is that 12 V going to be there anytime the key is on or when running only? 951 2000 GTX
Thanks170D7689-4DFF-463B-8F9B-879F684BF3CD.jpeg

What's the matter?? Thought it was rockin?? I was sending good vibes.
It’s doing good...just can’t get above 6200 rpm at wot...
I’m looking into why tomorrow, going to be trying it without tops on the rave valves.
Still trying to confirm this about throttle cable. (Photo)
I checked for 12 volts at the rave valve solenoid and nothing...

Attachments

• FB46099F-4249-4CA4-A2C6-19998FC38C1B.png
    FB46099F-4249-4CA4-A2C6-19998FC38C1B.png
    672.8 KB · Views: 4
It’s doing good...just can’t get above 6200 rpm at wot...
I’m looking into why tomorrow, going to be trying it without tops on the rave valves.
Still trying to confirm this about throttle cable. (Photo)
I checked for 12 volts at the rave valve solenoid and nothing...
Hmmmm.... that's logical. Sometimes the raves will open a bit without the solenoid but likely not all the way. You betta watch that 951 Engine if you're revving it out of the water. They will RUN AWAY quickly. Gotta pull the choke if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back