fuel inspection

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

danncjs

I have a 2001 challenger 1800EFI,couple months ago it ran great,went to start to take out and boat will not fire up,
It cranks and has spark,but wont fire up,what is easiest way to check if I have a fuel problem,or is there something else to check for this problem,thank you for your time

I have a 2001 challenger 1800EFI,couple months ago it ran great,went to start to take out and boat will not fire up,
It cranks and has spark,but wont fire up,what is easiest way to check if I have a fuel problem,or is there something else to check for this problem,thank you for your time

Check spark plugs to see if they are wet. If wet, clean them with brake cleaner and re-install. Try to start.

There are 3 fuel pumps on this engine. The lift pump does what a primer bulb on a small outboard does.
The pulse pump maintains flow when engine is running. The high pressure pump inside the vapor sep. tank (VST) (35 psi) is to feed the injectors.

Check the VST (port side of engine) drain plug. If there is fuel there, lift pump is working. Inside the VST is a float and needle as in old carburators. In Mercury's infinite wisdom, they made the needle out of aluminum and the seat of brass. The needle corrodes to the seat and will NOT allow gas into the VST.
Check fuel pressure at tire valve on top of VST. Should be 35 psi.

Check wires to VST pump.

thank you for your explanation on the three fuel pumps,everything checked out good until I got to the needle,you were correct,california gas,aluminum needle,and brass seat don't mix,needle was frozen to seat,took out and cleaned,reinstalled and boat started right up,thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back