Fuel Gauge Mystery - 98 Sportster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stfoulks

I'm deep in in now... using the instructions in the forum, I jumped the fuse in the fuel baffle awhile back, and tested OK by checking the resistance readings while moving the float up and down. Put a new float in at the same time for good measure. Still no reading on the gauge. After just dealing with no reading for awhile, I'm trying to make another attempt at getting this working. I've checked the resistance reading at the plug coming from the baffle, and it reads correctly. I've checked it at the plug that goes into the gauge, and it reads correctly. I've put power across the 2 leads on the gauge (1.5 volt from a AAA battery) momentarily to verify that the gauge functions, and it does.

But still no reading on the fuel gauge. It doesn't seem like the wires from the fuel sender to the gauge go through the MPEM, and the other wires on the plug only serve to supply power to the next gauge in the line. I'm stumped. Might try taking the gauge out and using jumper wires to go directly from the plug by the fuel sender to it... am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back