Fuel filter talk:

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_User

Currently I am using hastings 5/16 metal housing fuel filters in the challenger 1800 boat bc it was an easy solution to get a sturdy fuel filter locally.
932399870_125.jpg

I understand the OEM older style screen cartridge type are still avail like this>

363.jpg

IMHO, I don`t believe in the plastic style G2 type filters for inboards. if the plastic were as thick as the OEM seadoo inline filters then I might have considered them.
A friend/shop had suggested Racor fuel filter/water separators for the boat and I`m also considering (or similar)these, which I would need 2 of>

364.jpg

Now that the boat is up and running and I`m temporarily using these hastings filters, I will be upgrading the fuel filter system, and checking the baffle/pick up in the off season...

My concern with the racor type was that maybe the mikuni fuel pumps would work harder to draw fuel thru these types.

This is a discussion of fuel filters, comment is appreciated, Thanks...:cheers:

Pale rider,
the fram is used on the line just before the carbs, the OEM is (I think) just after the gas tank and before the fuel selector knob, the other one I have no knowledge of...so I can't comment on that.

But I would use the Fram/Hastings and the OEM. I use the Fram G-2 on my ski with a 787, it's semi-clear plastic so you can see the fuel level and such.

Why don't you like plastic with inboards?

Pale rider,
the fram is used on the line just before the carbs, the OEM is (I think) just after the gas tank and before the fuel selector knob, the other one I have no knowledge of...so I can't comment on that.hey Seadoobuddy, this is a 98 model year and there is no selector valve and there was no OEM removable mesh/screen filter. This boat had the white plastic Seadoo fuel filters between the tank and fuel pump. They are zip tied to the oem metal bracket. I have seen this more than one time. after the fuel pump is the mikuni filter in the carb.

But I would use the Fram/Hastings and the OEM. I use the Fram G-2 on my ski with a 787, it's semi-clear plastic so you can see the fuel level and such.

Why don't you like plastic with inboards?

Never did care for the economy fuel filters. Look at how thick the oem white plastic filters are and look at the aftermarket clear filters. even moeller is cheap. I don`t need any crack or for the plastic to fail or sever while underway. This may not happen for many, it`s just that one time that counts... so I erred on the side of caution.

I`ve always made it a habit to never use plastic inline filters in inboards. there was always a better solution. Now OEM filters in ski`s and outboards, no prob. just not my boat...:lol:

I`m surprised with 24 views no one has used fuel/water separators in their boats, we`ve always had one on others in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares how thick the plastic is. It's disposable. Besides... it's not a "Structure" item, and the outer body should have no stress on it.

As far as the metal version (like in your picture) I don't like them, because I can't see if there is any junk in it.

The OEM filter is almost not a filter. It has a plastic mesh, and it lets relatively large particles though. But, properly mounted... it works as a water trap.

Without a doubt... the big spin-on type filter is a great item for a boat. But... they are expensive. As far as making the pump work harder... that shouldn't be a factor. The large filter has a large surface area... and in turn, has low restriction.

As a final note... I use the Purolator version of the G2 in all my water toys. I mount it just before the carbs, and on the islandia, I have one just before the first (of 3) fuel pumps. On all of them... I leave on the factory water trap.

18.jpg

I just looked though some of my rebuild pics, and you can see my filters on the 240 HP Merc. No problem at at supporting the needed fuel flow. So... if you put one on each engine... they will last a few years, and are less than $5 each.

A big spin-on QuickSilver on the SB side... and a Puralator on the Port side.

114.jpg

93.jpg

I got this at Auto Zone last year, I bought it by accident. I never used it because I don't like the idea of using metal other than stainless steel or aluminum in a marine environment. It's a direct replacement for the Fram G-2, I'm thinking I paid around $5.00.

Lou

BTW they threw in the moth for free.

Attachments

• 100_0646.JPG
    100_0646.JPG
    926.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_0647.jpg
    100_0647.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 25
Who cares how thick the plastic is. It's disposable. Besides... it's not a "Structure" item, and the outer body should have no stress on it. I do. and it is structural bc these filters are mounted to that metal bracket where the old type filters used to be. Whom ever did this change or conversion did a decent job. There is heavy wall A1 hose and nothing is really all that flexible going to the fuel pump, so where is all the vibration going to work, on the hose nipple of the plastic fuel filter... I believe there would be less stress if the filter were floating, but in this case they are attached.

As far as the metal version (like in your picture) I don't like them, because I can't see if there is any junk in it.
These don`t stay on forever. they are only seasonal. I control where I get fuel and no marina gas. This helps the equation.

The OEM filter is almost not a filter. It has a plastic mesh, and it lets relatively large particles though. But, properly mounted... it works as a water trap.
correct, and they are not on this boat. I would have preferred to use the oem filters and could not get them when needed.

Without a doubt... the big spin-on type filter is a great item for a boat. But... they are expensive. As far as making the pump work harder... that shouldn't be a factor. The large filter has a large surface area... and in turn, has low restriction. I somewhat agree, as I have run way more complex fuel systems in cars/truck/vans and project builds. but a high volume large diaphram pump can def pull fuel, I just wasn`t sure if these tiny mikuni pumps could handle the GPH flow

As a final note... I use the Purolator version of the G2 in all my water toys. I mount it just before the carbs, and on the islandia, I have one just before the first (of 3) fuel pumps. On all of them... I leave on the factory water trap.

18.jpg

gotcha, I have a few friends that run the fuel/water racor units on the yamaha boats, One for each engine.
I have remote fuel pumps and was just cautious using something that large with minimal fuel pressure/suction... But I`m learning they will indeed work...

this is why I`m figuring this out and having the informative thread, Thanks keep them coming!:cheers:

Edit: those purolators do look beefier than the moeller or Fram... if I could of found them here, they would have been a suitable choice...

I got this at Auto Zone last year, I bought it by accident. I never used it because I don't like the idea of using metal other than stainless steel or aluminum in a marine environment. It's a direct replacement for the Fram G-2, I'm thinking I paid around $5.00.

Lou

BTW they threw in the moth for free.
I couldn`t agree more. I wasn`t to worried about the exterior of the filter body bc they are up high and up against the firewall, sort of speak.
another thought was ethanol, but then again these are automotive filters and I`ve seen them in use on inboards/IO`s.

good point, but remember tho, these will not be on for years, only a few months at best, realistically they have only 12 hours on them now. and this is a maintenance item that gets changed out frequently.

I think its overkill and a waste of money. I buy some similar to what Doc posted. I change them out yearly. $15 and im good to go.

why no marina gas?

well to put it frankly, the marina gas around here blows, sand/salt water, has contaminated other peoples watercraft and is more expensive.
I have been premixing for years and in the habit of filling fuel jugs, works for me... The boat is premix...
I live at the water all around...

I think its overkill and a waste of money. I buy some similar to what Doc posted. I change them out yearly. $15 and im good to go.

yup, my 2 hastings filters cost about the same... (auto parts store in town)
no purolator here. only select Fram, and Moeler if I went to the marina`s for filters and that`s insane...

well to put it frankly, the marina gas around here blows, sand/salt water, has contaminated other peoples watercraft and is more expensive.
I have been premixing for years and in the habit of filling fuel jugs, works for me... I live at the water all around...

Yep, our marina is about a buck extra per gallon so once my boat goes in the water for the season it's 5 gallon jugs for me too.

Yep, our marina is about a buck extra per gallon so once my boat goes in the water for the season it's 5 gallon jugs for me too.

it would be different if I had the same set up as years past. our past boat stayed in the water, and we fueled up locally on the creek.
we are satisfied with a few hours on the water each trip, keeps the cost down, and I have 3 nice rivers and a few bays all local... so no real need to trailer farther away. I choose to tow the boat 15 miles south to a state park, way cheaper yearly pass than in my own backyard marina`s...lol... and bathrooms and BBQ grills and picnic tables... and the pooch is allowed, can`t beat that!

I`ll just toss this in this thread for those who are reading>

368.jpg

while I was researching a few months back I came across these...
however I don`t know if the 25 GPH rating is adequate...
5/16 inlet and outlet.

from the shop manual> Maximum fuel consumption at wide open throttle - 24.4 U.S. gal/h

I actually make it a point to buy gas at the marina, while it's $4.00 a gallon, it's ethanol free.

I don't want to appear to be ignorant, but where are "the pines"?

Lou

I actually make it a point to buy gas at the marina, while it's $4.00 a gallon, it's ethanol free.

I don't want to appear to be ignorant, but where are "the pines"?

Lou
I can`t say for sure if they are ethanol free here. I`m sure my riding crowd would have been all over them if they were...
LEH, Pine barrens NJ...

I use the OEM unit(204560077), which looks similar to the plastic one DOC posted. That's what the Speedster came with, never had any issues with water in the gas or other crap. I believe that the marina gas around us(where I ride) has ethanol and I prefer to not tie off to any docks, like Pale Rider--maybe it's an East coast thing. I always use marine sta-bil in the gas just to be sure.

And for those who don't know about the pines, you don't know what your missing. "The Pines"---that's where the Jersey Devil lives!!!!!!!! Some places are Deliverance 5 string banjo's creepy, so don't break down. Just kidding, no really. It actually looks like it is a beautiful place to live, nice lakes, very scenic for sure nothing but tall pines and sand. I always enjoy going to the shore that way, no traffic but about 30 miles out of my way, but worth every mile, been cutting through for 20+ years. PR, your lucky to live so close to water, my kid always laughs when I call it Tea Water(Brackish) down by you. Gonna be heading down this week!

I use the OEM unit(204560077), which looks similar to the plastic one DOC posted. That's what the Speedster came with, never had any issues with water in the gas or other crap. I believe that the marina gas around us(where I ride) has ethanol and I prefer to not tie off to any docks, like Pale Rider--maybe it's an East coast thing. I always use marine sta-bil in the gas just to be sure.

And for those who don't know about the pines, you don't know what your missing. "The Pines"---that's where the Jersey Devil lives!!!!!!!! Some places are Deliverance 5 string banjo's creepy, so don't break down. Just kidding, no really. It actually looks like it is a beautiful place to live, nice lakes, very scenic for sure nothing but tall pines and sand. I always enjoy going to the shore that way, no traffic but about 30 miles out of my way, but worth every mile, been cutting through for 20+ years. PR, your lucky to live so close to water, my kid always laughs when I call it Tea Water(Brackish) down by you. Gonna be heading down this week!
awesome!, yeah I hear a lot of pennso and benny`s will be on LBI this coming weekend! (joke) hahahahaha you should have seen 72W, all the traffic heading home for the weekend, we were out in Red Lion ...

trust me, sometimes I hear banjo`s and see the occasional boat in the woods turned into hut, wow...lol...
we took a little cruise thru the trails this morning, here is a pic.

61547d1346013785-what-did-you-do-your-fj-cruiser-today-0826121159a.jpg

I have the creek behind me, a little down the road there is a bay on each side of the road, and the road dead ends at the beach haven inlet. I can see AC all lit up and really good on a clear day from just going up the road and looking across the water... we launch in Wharton in the brackish waters... best way to keep the engines and exhaust system clean...lol...

for some reason I heard the oem filters were not made anymore, is this true?

So is that the Pines along the NJ Turnpike going down into Atlantic City? That is really scenic thru there.

Pale Rider, I used to ride my three wheelers back in the pines, right off 72 by the train tressel. Here http://goo.gl/maps/AHzDb
I haven't been in years, I thought they were busting everyone. My brother in law said they went to a couple of wet t-shirt contests back in the day, crazy stuff for sure happens back in them woods. Depending on what time of the day it is I'll take the ACE, but 7 time out of 10, the pines gets my vote. I start cutting across by Columbus Flea Market and get the GSP in New Gretna, by the big wine bottle. That FJ must be fun back in there for sure.

Yes, I think that filter was discontinued. I pick them up on Ebay or see if any dealers have them on the shelves still.

Edit: put in the wrong link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back