Fuel additives causing ski to run rich?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechorepko

So I purchased my 96 sea doo gtx a couple weeks ago and did the basic tune ups to ensure everything is running properly and up to date. Part of my tune up process included mixing my fuel with an additive to remove carbon build up. I've noticed my exhaust is rather thick and white. Does the additive have anything to do with this or is there another factor coming into play?

Never add "fuel additives" into a two stroke engine.

CR is correct here, expecially additives that "clean". whatever is in there to do the cleaning is also breaking down your injection oil and not giving you proper lubrication.
That being said using Stabil as a fuel stabilizer is good once in a while during the season to keep the fuel "fresh" and clear up any water or condensation that might be in your fuel tank.

It is normal for your exhaust to be oily or greasy. What brand oil are you using? Some will gumm up more then others, it is more of a concern in your RAVE's then in the exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it hasnt been run yet, Its probably still burning up all the oil from fogging the cylinders when it was winterized.

I think seafoam says its fine for 2 strokes

The jet ski hadn't been run for about a year. Also I don't even know if the owner before me winterized it. Seemed like a good idea to run some stabilizer through it at the time.

Sta-bil is OK to use in the gas.

but Seafoam & Star-Tron has a cleaner that breaks down the oil. Even Dr. Honda doesn't recommended Seafoam in 2 Stroke motors.
Even a trusted mechanic likes Star-tron better than Sta-bil, but I'll go with only with Sta-bil from now on.

"Quote"
Seafoam opinion by Dr. Honda
Yes... I have an opinion on Seafoam. NEVER use a pour in solvent in a 2-stroke engine!!!!
Think about it. If it can clean... it will mess up the oiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to make a debate about this, but the star tron contains "Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum), Heavy Aliphatic", which is a cleaner. I am by no means an expert, but they claim it cleans and keeps clean, which in my book is not good for 2 strokes no matter what the bottle says.
I use the stabil and premium fuel, (which in my area does not contain ethenol) and as long as the carbs are tuned right you should have no problems with excess carbon build up.

Just because they are located at a dealership, does not imply they know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Don't add anything to your tank but stabil. Anything that cleans will impair the oils ability to lubricate properly.

Remove and clean your raves every fall. That's the only carbon to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back