Frustrated with the DESS (Can I bypass?)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ketkevseadoo

I tired of trying to get my boat (97 Speedster) to have the right number of beeps and to even get it to beep. Can you bypass the DESS post ie..hard wire it?

General opinion here is no form what I have read. If its not beeping at all, the buzzer may be bad. If you arent getting the correct # of beeps, hotwiring it wont help enyway as its indicating another problem that needs addressing. Kind of like when the check engine light on your car comes on-do you simply unplug the light and the problem goes away, or fix the problem? This is why its beeping anything other than the two short beeps indicating everything is go. If you are beeping look in the forums, they will tell you the codes for the various beeps.

Nice replies.......

KCR357 is correct. You cannot bypass the mpem to get a start on you boat. The DESS system was designed as an anti theft device. If your not getting the two beeps, check the buzzer with a test light or get a buzzer from Radio Shack.

Push the start/stop button 5 times, without the lanyard on the post. You should get one long and one short beep. This is the advanced diagnostic mode. Post your results.

If no beeps at all, then like the two posts above, you'll need to find out why? Check all your electrical connections and make sure your battery is strong. Check all the fuses in the rear and forward electrical boxes. The rear has your 15 amp fuse to protect the charging system and the 5 amp for the mpem............lets hear back from you.:cheers:

Dess Issues

Thanks so much for the replies. A couple updates. The issue is that it is not consistent and/or the boat just shuts down on me. Sometimes if I put the laynard on the post I get (2) beeps and it starts right up, next time I try I only get 1 beep and I have mess with it a couple times, check if it in neutral, etc..then I get 2 beeps and then it starts right up. But after it starts it may run for 10 minutes or 2 minutes and shuts down. Hope this helps to clarify a bit. Thanks again. (97 Speedster)

sea-doo challenger

I have been reading your posts regarding the beeps on the dess. My Challenger does nothing when I put the key on the post and will not start. When I push the start button 5 times as suggested, I get a short beep and along beep and the gas gauge registers, but stilll no start. The battery is OK.
Suggestions????

Mpem

Probably not a good idea to try to adapt non-DESS mpem(s)onto boats or skis' that have DESS. You would have to cut off the main harness connection and then wire in the non-DESS mpem(s). It's a wiring nightmare waiting to happen.
DAWG

Thanks so much for the replies. A couple updates. The issue is that it is not consistent and/or the boat just shuts down on me. Sometimes if I put the laynard on the post I get (2) beeps and it starts right up, next time I try I only get 1 beep and I have mess with it a couple times, check if it in neutral, etc..then I get 2 beeps and then it starts right up. But after it starts it may run for 10 minutes or 2 minutes and shuts down. Hope this helps to clarify a bit. Thanks again. (97 Speedster)

I had the same problem, mine turned out to be the little plastic ring that holds the post on had a little crack and was messing up the dess connection. Things id check out would be that and also clean the dess key with mild soap and water. Also does the dess key look worn at all? might be time for a new one. the problem could also be from a bad post. Id be willing to bet the problem is related to the post or the dess key.

Mpem

I guess I don't understand the process of switching over to non-DESS MPEM's. I just finished working on a 1999 SeaDoo 1800 sportster w/ twin 717's. It has a MPEM that runs everything (engines, DESS, gauges, bilge, etc.) Do you install old style lanyard switches and then hook up the harness wires to the non-DESS MPEM's that run the engines, mount them somewhere, and leave the original DESS mpem installed and working so it can run the rest of the boats electrical system?
DAWG

Mpem

There would still be a issue with the tach's, speedo, etc. They would depend on the original MPEM to "turn on" in order to operate. The MPEM would need the signal from the DESS key and post in order to do so but can't because these items have now been eliminated. Would you somehow install some kind of manual on/off switch for the original MPEM so that the tach's, etc. could still function or would you have to re-wire these items also in order to make use of the non-DESS MPEM's. I looked at a boat wiring diagram and it doesn't look like re-wiring the tach's would be much fun and probably not even possible.

DAWG

Mpem

All things considered, I'm gonna have to stick with my original opinion on this subject. Your average boat owner with average mechanical skills would not find this "easy" at all and get overwhelmed at some point and time. He would stare at his incomplete "wiring nightmare" and wish he would have spent the money for the correct MPEM.
I know they are very exspensive but the boat would still have all of it's original componets working and wiring harnesses intact.
I'm not saying that this type of conversion is not possible but in my opinion it's not practical.
DAWG

Hi there...
I had identical problems with my 98 sportster this summer. It would randomly die while we were wake boarding. Sometimes 10+times. I replaced the Post that the key plugs onto and now it works fine. Hope this helps. Also, the beeper still only works once in a while, but it starts every time.

I don't think I said it was easy but many people would rather spend a couple hundered on some used pwc mpems and wire them in than spend around $1000 to end up with a mpem that probably will fail again in a couple years. Anyone who can read a wiring diagram can usually wire those in and although you lose a couple of the features built into the original mpem, it's actually a selling point that the boat has been converted to a more reliable and cheaper to repair electrical system.

Has the problem even been pin pointed to an mpem problem??? Id rule out all other possible fist befor doing anything with the mpem. Like checking the post and dess key to make sure there working right. Dess keys are VERY fussy if there dirty or even a little wore it can cause these types of problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mpem

I don't think I said it was easy but many people would rather spend a couple hundered on some used pwc mpems and wire them in than spend around $1000 to end up with a mpem that probably will fail again in a couple years. Anyone who can read a wiring diagram can usually wire those in and although you lose a couple of the features built into the original mpem, it's actually a selling point that the boat has been converted to a more reliable and cheaper to repair electrical system.

In your post on 12/11/08 you did state that "the conversion is easy". In my opinion, your average boat owner is gonna need more than 2 different wiring diagrams and 2 old style MPEM's in order to make this conversion. He is also gonna need good working knowledge of how his boats electrical systems work. You also failed to point out that there were some draw backs to doing such a conversion. Those are the points I have been trying to make in my posts. Most people who come into this forum looking for advice do so because they DON'T have good working knowledge of their vessel. Wiring old style MPEM's into you new style boat is NOT a job a beginner should try and I feel you should have stated that (along with the draw backs) in your 12/11/08 post.

DAWG

Very good point Dawg but keep in mind that it is the complex technical info that you have always contributed to this site and also that others as SeaDoo and many others have contributed to this site that will alow us to go to a further understanding of how all of this works and we will be able to help others to get threw the hard to understand complicated tasks that they may inquire. Well at least some of will benafit that have a beter understanding and others will learn in due time. Your friend Robin :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back