Force mpem on without engine running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H€PHÆ$TU$

98 Sportster 1800

I'm doing some electrical trouble shooting that would be so much easier if the engines didn't have to be running to get the mpem to power everything up. Is there a way to force the mpem to power on without engines running?

Explain trouble electrical troubleshooting and the fault you have ‍♂️

Fuel gauge pegged at full. I can't test it without briefly starting engine every time. And it doesn't seem like one should have to troubleshoot stuff like this with an engine running constantly. Seems like there should be a diagnostic mode.

If you disconnect fuel sender does it go to zero ?
I don’t think there is a way to keep Mpem powered without engine running as it’s controlled by ECU

I wonder what signal from engine it senses to be powered ?
Possibly the from the magneto coil

If you disconnect fuel sender does it go to zero ?
I don’t think there is a way to keep Mpem powered without engine running as it’s controlled by ECU

I wonder what signal from engine it senses to be powered ?
Possibly the from the magneto coil

Actually, I just discovered that, when I plug in the key, it waits about one second and then powers everything up for about 30 seconds before shutting down again without turning the engine. I guess it's looking for a stator signal during that 30 seconds and if it doesn't get it, shuts down to preserve battery. But that's at least helpful in that I don't need to start the engine every time. Still, a diagnostic mode would be handy.

There's more to the story that I was hoping not to have to tell, but my fuel gauge has always been stuck at empty. I'm aware of the problems they had with these sending units so I got a used sender and tried it but it was also stuck at empty. So I sent my original one to that guy on eBay that fixes them, mainly because I don't enjoy soldering or welding plastic. He said my A1 fuse was blown but when I got it back is when the gauge is now pegged at full. So I opened up the non-repaired sending unit to try and get a better understanding of what is going on and discovered that the float was full of fuel and that someone in the past had already fixed the A1 fuse in it. So both sending units were not working in different ways resulting in the same results. But now they're not working for the same reason with different results. So something is getting grounded out that shouldn't be and its in the boat, not the sending unit. I'm out of time for tonight, but this will help me chase it down when I have time to trouble shoot again. I just need to find which of the 3 wires is grounded that shouldn't be and find where it is grounded. The PO of this boat did all sorts of dumb stuff with the wiring so I have no doubts I just need to undo something he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back